Jambalaya a la LeBlanc

the following is my recipe for Jambalaya. Passed down from my Mother, from her Mother (RIP), and so forth. i like andouille and ham, BUT you can go with chicken, shrimp (just add it for the last 6 minutes of cooking time so you don’t rubberize the shrimp). the pic below is ham, andouille and tasso.

jambalaya is basically a play on paella. the Spaniard’s took control of La. for a brief period. the French retook the area and…..whatever, google “new orleans” if you want a history lesson. my city is one of the oldest in the country. and for us…..FOOD is everything.

Jambalaya

saute 1 cup trinity in olive oil or butter (i uses butter) till translucent, add chopped meat (whatever you choose is up to you) and cook for about 5 minutes. add 1 can tomato sauce(14oz), Β 2-3 TBS thyme and 2 1/2 cups water, and 1-2 TBS cayenne (more/less to taste). bring to a boil. once boiling throw in rice, cover and drop heat to low. let cook for 12-15 minutes, stir once or twice. after cooking time, let the pot sit covered for out 10-15 minutes. enjoy. c’est bon.

OH.....don't forget to remove the bay leaves after it's done cooking. it''ll get bitter.

20 Comments on “Jambalaya a la LeBlanc”

1. Jack Dublin says:

Back from a short vacation, wrangled myself a date and now I know what I’m having for dinner this weekend. Sweet!

Speaking of foods, here’s a goody my dear Mother found.

I gorged myself and didn’t eat for almost 15 hours.

2. dannyfrom504 says:

Jack-

if you’ve never cooked a dish before, you might wanna make a test run or 2 before cooking it for her. i iron it out and don’t make anything MY LEVEL of spicy until i know for sure she can handle it.

best of luck to you Sir.

• Jack Dublin says:

Oh, the jambalaya is just for me. I don’t let most people eat my cooking until I’m satisfied with my ability to make it hitch-free. SHE is cooking dinner for the two of us.

Browsing cookbooks does weird things to hypergamy and self-qualifying, in my experience.
      She explained how, (compared to lesser women) she is a ‘natural’ in the kitchen.

3. Susan Walsh says:

This looks so yummy, but what is trinity?

Susan- trinity is the cajun take on mirepoix. but we omit carrots (i don’t think we had access to them back then so they were just glossed over). so it’s equal amounts or chopped: onion, celery, and bell pepper. EVERY cajun dish includes trinity.

i’ll be posting recipes for muffelattas and roast beef po-boys soon.

4. Jack Dublin says:

That was some damn fine jambalaya.

5. Bellita says:

Mark the timestamp! I’m making this right now . . . !

• Looking Glass says:

Hope it goes well!

Let me know how it comes out. So far one reader said it was on point.

• Bellita says:

@Looking Glass

Thanks! As for how it turned out, see below . . .

@Danny

I was a little chicken about putting in so much cayenne, so I halved it . . . It tasted okay, but not spectacular, so I know that when I make it next time, I won’t be so cautious. πŸ˜‰ I might also try something other than ham. What do you recommend?

On the other hand, my mother, who isn’t really into spicy stuff, thought it was wonderful the way it was and is trying to talk me out of making the next one hotter.

Mahal-

i always need to make something 2-3 times before i perfect it. you can always add cayenne directly to the cooked product. i also add hot sauce. i also add little to no salt so the person eating can salt to his/her own taste.

you can add chicken, shrimp (any seafood), sausage, tocino….etc. whatever meat strikes your fancy.

glad you liked it Dear. if mom dug it…..Danny’s happy.

• Bellita says:

While I was cooking, my own thought was to add the cayenne and thyme to the sauteed vegetables before adding the tomato sauce, but I wanted to follow your steps even if I didn’t also follow your measurements. I’ll probably do that next time.

And of course I’ll let you know how the next one goes. πŸ™‚ Thanks again, Danny!

i wish you could understand how hard it is for me to do food posts. i actually DON’T measure the ingredients. i “eyeball” and “nose” everything.

DISCLAIMER- feel free to add more/less seasoning than i advise. what tastes good to you many not work for my palate, and vice-versa. just ask Bb, Bellita, and Jack Dublin.

let me know how your next attempt goes. just please……don’t put any Jufran in it. lol.

• Bellita says:

That makes sense! Once I get a recipe all figured out, I don’t measure, either! πŸ™‚

I may never do a food post . . . unless it’s a baking post, because baking is still all about measurements.

6. Susan Walsh says:

I have always wanted to eat muffelattas for lunch, having had beignets for breakfast.

7. Bellita says:

I tried this again tonight, Danny, but because it’s a Friday, I didn’t use any meat. I doubled the cayenne pepper, used a combination of olive oil and butter, and prepared some fish (cream dory) to round out the meal. The lightness of the fish was a great complement to the heat of the jambalaya. My youngest brother really liked it. πŸ™‚