How Vanessa Bryant just made it THAT much harder for women to cop a ring.

ok. first and foremost, before i start, i want to be clear. KOBE CHEATED. fact is he did, i will make NO excuse for that. he was wrong, BUT….they agreed to work it out. i DO NOT condone cheating on the SO, EVER. are we clear? good.

when i read today that vanessa bryant was awarded $75 million (kobe’s estimated worth being close to $150 million) AND the 3 newport coast mansions (read more on that in a sec) i was fucking stunned. ACTUALLY, no i wasn’t. FUCK CALIFORNIA!!!! so…..basically vanessa get’s HALF of $150 million for doing nothing more than having 2 kids and dealing with a cheating husband. kobe fucked up by cheating on her, sure. but SEVENTY-FIVE FUCKING MILLION!!!!!! sorry, but he WORKED for that money, he EARNED it. i’m not going into pro-sports horseshit, but trust me, i’m pretty sure it’s NOT that bad being the wife of a pro athlete. yeah, she had 2 of his kids…somehow i don’t kobe’s gonna let his kids eat ramen and go to a public school while wearing wal-mart clothing. ain’t gonna happen. 10 million to vanessa…sure. 15 mil, ok. 20 mil….eeeeh. 25 mil…..NO. i’m pretty sure 10 mil and child support will have her living quite well. BUT. kobe’s a FUCKING MORON. a complete dolt. read below….from wikipedia.

Personal life

In November 1999, 21-year-old Bryant met 17-year-old Vanessa Laine while she was working as a background dancer on the Tha Eastsidaz music video “G’d Up”.[208] Bryant was in the building working on his debut musical album, which was never released. The two began dating and became engaged just six months later in May 2000,[208] while Laine was still a senior at Marina High School in Huntington Beach, California. To avoid media scrutiny, she finished high school through independent study.[208] According to Vanessa’s cousin Laila Laine, there was no prenuptial agreement. Vanessa said Bryant “loved her too much for one“.[209]

They married on April 18, 2001, at St. Edward Roman Catholic Church in Dana Point, California.[210] Neither Bryant’s parents, his two sisters, longtime advisor and agent Arn Tellem, nor Bryant’s Laker teammates attended. Bryant’s parents were opposed to the marriage for a number of reasons. Reportedly Bryant’s parents had problems with him marrying so young, especially to a woman who was not African-American.[208] This disagreement resulted in an estrangement period of over two years, which ended when Bryant had his first daughter.

In January 2002, Bryant bought a Mediterranean-style house for $4 million, located in a cul-de-sac in Newport Coast, Newport Beach.[211] The Bryants’ first child, a daughter named Natalia Diamante Bryant, was born on January 19, 2003. The birth of Natalia influenced Bryant to reconcile his differences with his parents. Vanessa Bryant suffered a miscarriage due to an ectopic pregnancy in the spring of 2005. Their second daughter, Gianna Maria-Onore Bryant, was born on May 1, 2006. Gianna was born six minutes ahead of former teammateShaquille O’Neal‘s daughter Me’arah Sanaa, who was born in Florida.[212] On December 16, 2011, Vanessa Bryant filed for divorce citing irreconcilable differences. Both parties resolved all the issues related to their divorce prior to the filing.[213] Both Kobe and Vanessa requested joint custody of their daughters, Natalia and Gianna.[214]

wow. just WOW. after reading that…..what a fucking dumb-ass. you decide to marry an 18 year old rap video girl WITHOUT a prenup???!!!! :/ seriously, i WISH i could be a pro-athlete, first…i’d NEVER ger married. ever. seriously. do you know michael jordan met his ex-wife when she was a waitress at bennigan’s. seriously. she now own’s a palatial estate. look, i realize that kobe’s gonna be just fine. but as much as i’m not a kobe fan, i will say this….he WORKED from a young age (3-4), and TRAINED to be a good basketball player. and vanessa is born with a vagina so by default she’s entitled to half of what HE worked for. as chris rock said, “that’s great when you’re worth $50 million, no problem. but what if you’re worth $50,000?”

i think if i continued i’d just be rambling, so i’ll stop. i’d like to point out that my grandmother gave me her wedding ring (not an antique or anything) for “that special girl”. the center stone is 2 carats and it’s surrounded by 10 1/2 carat diamonds (whatever the fuck the solitaire pops into…..foundation, bridge, i don’t fucking know). well, i’ve always joked that i’m going to sell that bitch and buy a ticket to brazil and spend 2 weeks fucking girls at termas. lol. all things considered, that’s looking like a viable option now.

i realize that most of you ladies reading this would agree that what she got is a bit much. i get that. and if you are a woman that sees the injustice in this, i salute and applaud you. you’re the good ones. BUT….realize, you’re the minority. most of the sister-hood is high-fiving and cheering this on. *smh*

what? did you think i was kidding?

29 Comments on “How Vanessa Bryant just made it THAT much harder for women to cop a ring.”

1. Stargate Girl says:

Lovely ring. And if you ever sell it I hope your grandma kicks your ass from here to eternity. She means for it to be a bit of a family heirloom. Save it for when you have a little girl someday. Then she can pass it to her little girl…

2. Looking Glass says:

Always sign a prenup.

Though, specifically when it comes to Basketball players, I would argue the logical method is LeBron James’. He’s only now engaged to his GF of 8ish years. It’s definitely not a Christian arrangement, but, well, it’s much safer for LeBron.

Oh, and Basketball guys pretty much have ladies in every city. Not really a joke, either. So, there’s almost no way it was just Colorado.

LG- I’m not condoning the fact that he fucked around on his wife. You do the ceremony, take the oath, make the vow…TOE THE FUCKING LINE. Period.

But no prenup? “He loves me too much for a prenup”. His whole family/entourage boycotts the wedding? As Badger says, “more red-flags than a communist parade”.

• Bellita says:

I don’t know much about US sports celebrities, so this was a crash course. I was shocked to read that Bryant’s family and friends refused to go to his wedding. If I had been in his wife’s place, I would have been mortified and not gone through with the ceremony.

One of my friends has never really liked her sister-in-law, and neither has her entire family. But they were still there at the wedding and even helped pay for some of it. I can’t begin to imagine the red flags that would have to be flying for people to boycott a loved one’s wedding like that. But it’s not as hard as wrapping my head around a woman (or a man, for that matter) who would feel okay about driving such a wedge her groom and his family (or his bride and her family).

3. YOHAMI says:

75 million, three mansions, the kids (who will get brainwashed against him), and child support. It pisses me to no end.

4. deti says:

But did you notice? Kobe was dumb because he fell into the oldest trap in the book.

He pedestalized Vanessa. He said to himself “I love her too much” to ask for a prenup.

“She would never do THAT to me.”

No prenup. (Where’s your head, Kobe? And where were your lawyers? Where was your agent? You are not some schmo making $35K in your first job and marrying your college sweetheart who dated Dave from down the street before you. You are one of the most highly compensated athletes of all time marrying an 18 year old rap video starlet who’s only just now seen a $100 bill. Think she can handle all this? Do you not realize what’s at stake? You cannot afford to think with your d*ck or your heart.)

Immediately buys her a house. Then two more. She’s walking away with three houses??

Yeah, Kobe cheated on her. Yeah, he was wrong. And he gave a woman all these things when she didn’t have the character to handle it, and in doing so brought a lot of this on himself.

Take a lesson. Men, don’t be a Kobe.

5. Well, I can’t say I am impressed…what is she going to do with all that money anyway? Anna Nicole Smith died not long after she inherited millions from her 89 year old husband…

And now there are 2 little girls with no Daddy in the home.
    Was it worth it?

Of COURSE he was wrong to cheat. No denying that. But in the end, was the money her real motivation for divorcing?
    If so, shame on her.

But maybe, Kobe got what he deserved? Turns out his whole family were right afterall.

Badger’s comment about communism and red flags made me LOL 🙂

6. “According to Vanessa’s cousin Laila Laine, there was no prenuptial agreement. Vanessa said Bryant “loved her too much for one“.
    Biggest laugh I’ve had all day, because that age-old argument that either party wanting a prenup is indicative that they “don’t really love you” is fairly stupid.

• Next-day-other-half-of-comment-that-I-forgot:
      For her to phrase it like that, it sounds like the topic of a pre-nup had been broached before and the main crux of her argument against it was “If you really loved me, you wouldn’t want one of those.” Which is an argument that always makes me see red.

Just wanted to clarify. I had one of those middle-of-the-night thoughts that went, “(sing-song) You phrased something weird today and I’m not gonna tell you when…”

7. Anacaona says:

I just want to mention that having a prenup doesn’t necessarily mean he would be 100% protected. If I remember right Catherine Zeta-Jones prenup has a cheating clause if Michael Douglas cheats she gets half no questions asked. What would had happened if Kobe would had offered the pre-nup who is to say Vanessa wouldn’t had asked for this clause? Vanessa might had been young but she was clearly not stupid neither her family was. Just saying the best solution for any man worry about getting a financially ridden divorce is not to marry or not to cheat.

And Danny maybe you should try to sell the ring to a relative that way the family heirloom will continue in the house and you could have your fun and your grandmother’s spirit wouldn’t had to pull your feet in the nightime. :p

“pull your feet”. Lol. Callate el hoccico.

• Doug1 says:

I wouldn’t have given it to her.

Male cheating isn’t worth that kind of punishment.

As well I’d never marry again without my fiance not only signing a prenup that mimics living together in the event of a divorce, but also agreeing to some amount of open after a few years, with her veto over anyone in particular being too close to her or me developing to strong feelings for another.

8. m603 says:

Maybe it’s not that he “loved her too much for one.” From what I’ve read, Vanessa’s parents blackmailed Kobe into marrying her. She being under age, they could have charged him with statutory rape.

• Looking Glass says:

Ah, so her parents were really shrewd. Horrible but shrewd. Set up her entire family for life, more or less. Can’t blame them, though it doesn’t speak greatly to character.

I dunno. That could be speculation. But I think his entire family boycotting the wedding and his dumb as shit not getting a pre-nup made for a perfect storm.

Sometimes your life could simply be a warning to others. But reading how this panned out seems to justify the MRA bitterness. Hmmmm.

9. Random Angeleno says:

Red flags, deluxe. I’m only surprised they lasted this long.
    Also there is not only the settlement, but the alimony and the child support required to maintain the lifestyle.
    ‘cuse me while i retch.

10. Ahhh, come on, admit it…. You are far too sentimental to sell your Grandma’s ring. 😉