Code Red

Apparently, heart disease is the number 1 killer of women.

Really?

While I do understand that women’s contraction of heart disease has increased since the dissemination of feminism, heart attacks still mostly involve men. If I start seeing “red” during NFL games, I’m going to off myself; for the end has arrived.

11 Comments on “Code Red”

1. Gwen says:

It makes a great response to the Oct insanity, though. When yet another woman starts going off about breast cancer I just do my spiel about the REAL danger to women and the need for more women to exercise, lose weight, and get healthier. Leaves my harasser speechless, every time. I really do hate Oct anymore. Stupid pink ribbons.

I don’t want to minimize the severity of heart disease. But this is just crazy. When I saw the commercial for it, my jaw dropped.

2. I’ll stay away from this post LOL!

I’m not trying to minimize the seriousness of HA in women. But any facts you have, please share. The actual commercial states that HA’s are the number one killer of women.

Wait, I thought it was breast cancer.

• Spacetraveller says:

Danny, are you sure you want me to take the plunge?
        OK, here are the facts.
        Don’t kill the messenger lol!

Heart (coronary) disease as an umbrella topic is now the leading cause of death in women (in the West, that is). True.
        (It has now leapfrogged breast cancer as the leading cause of death in women due to women catching up in terms of risk factors such as smoking and obesity-related diabetes).
        But not heart attacks, which is still predominantly a man’s domain.
        It’s a question of semantics…
        The gripping chest and arm pain with the sweating that we recognise as the typical heart attack is actually quite rare in women. Women manifest heart disease as ‘angina’ (yes definitely chest discomfort that feels like a tight bra going down the left arm but usually no sweating or nausea) on physical effort, breathlessness, even abdominal pain… and this is slow in onset and not usually sudden…until she starts to get ‘heart failure’ when things suddenly become more ‘acute’.

Note that this is also a question of relative numbers and age:
        Premenopausal i.e.young women are usually protected from heart disease by oestrogen, but when they hit the menopause when oestrogen levels fall, their risk approaches that of men. And since at the older end of the age spectrum there are always more women than men, the proportions of women suffering heart disease then appears exponential (relative to men).

The ad is misleading because it portrays a youngish woman (but I guess they needed a young and pretty actress otherwise no-one would watch the ad lol) and the symptoms she experiences are those typically seen in men…

Thank you for the explanation.

Elizabeth banks is the actress in the video and she produced/directed the video.

I think you know what I was shooting for with this post. But thank you for shedding some light on the facts.

• Spacetraveller says:

For sure I do, Danny. But I think that’s precisely why the media do things like this – to court controversy and generate publicity, no matter how adverse. So perhaps your reaction is exactly what is anticipated…When people are incensed about something, they talk about it more? These guys bank on that theory, I guess…

3. Angeline says:

I think, can’t remember who for sure, John Stossell did a rant on disease statistics and how they are reported. If you add up all the deaths from this disease or that, all of which are “the leading killer of ___”, you very quickly end up with numbers that are 2-5-10 times the entire population of the US.

And we wonder why the average citizen doesn’t understand their own health risks, or financial statistics, but is SURE a child molesting serial killer dispensing fruit contaminated with ALAR is on their doorstep.

I think I love you.

• Angeline says:

LOL why thank you darlin’!

And I could also say here, that women acting like men has helped them break through a “glass ceiling” – they are now getting men’s diseases. Can prostate cancer be far behind?