Socially Unacceptable

Had an interesting occurrence go down yesterday. Needed some time to think about it before posting. This week has been a mind fuck as I’m meeting more of the bloggers getting a better behind the scenes look on the blogsphere in general.

I’ve long posted about my chatting up cashiers, waitresses, and girls behind a counter as a practice to keep the gift of gab strong. Hell last year I was banned from a 5 Guys Burgers and Fries because I: number closed one girl, and made a comment to another girl that WAS NOT insulting, degrading, or sexual in any way. Now, I have since started going back there and as it turns out…..I am a LEGEND there.  One of the guys that works there knows me from WAAAAAAY back when I started going to the place. I mean, I might have stopped in once a week back then. This young man said as I walked in, “BRAH, MAAAAN. THIS IS HIM!!! HE’S THE ONE THAT PISSED OFF (can’t recall her name, but the manager that I pissed off) ********”.  The guys behind the counter all looked on excitedly. It was kind of awkward to be honest. I’ll LOOK for the original post to link so you can have a back story (see above). But the kid basically told me she doesn’t work there anymore and that they don’t have a problem with me patronizing the joint.

Well, yesterday after walking through a down-pour, I stopped at my local supermarket to buy some beer and cottage cheese (casein ftw). I was talking, read that again, TALKING with the young women behind the counter and we were both laughing. As I walked away a manager stopped me and asked if he could talk to me. Then he mentioned walking away so “people don’t notice me talking to you.” I ALREADY knew what he was going to say. He proceeded to tell me that “a few of the girls had mentioned me making them uncomfortable with some of my comments”, but that he hadn’t noticed me acting inappropriately with the girl I was just talking to, so I might want to “be aware, and tone it down” THEN, he proceeded to tell me how much he appreciates my coming in as often as I do, and valuing me as a customer blah blah blah. Ok.

WTF????

Ok, I admit. This threw me off. I ended up talking to another blogger about it and he made a GREAT point that I hadn’t considered. I’ll touch on that later. Actually, can any of you readers figure out what this blogger told me?

Now, it’s usually VERY apparent when a woman is uncomfortable with flirtation. I have NEVER asked for a number, nor made suggestive/sexual comments to ANY woman in this store. And TBH I can only think of ONE girl that MIGHT have said something, but she approaches me to say hello most of the times I see her. So as I left the store I was in a WTF state of mind.

As an aside, the young lady that offered to walk me to my car came by my desk today and I again thanked her for her act of genuine kindness. I told her it was one of the nicest things anyone had done for me in a while. She gushed and thanked me. Girls. Lol. Wait a minute; I have an idea…..

umbrella girl.

29 Comments on “Socially Unacceptable”

1. Sean says:

The manager is jelly ? Or maybe when the girls were talking about you during lunch or watever, he misinterpreted the words.

2. Southern Man says:

“A few of the girls had mentIoned…” was pure manager BS. No one complained to the manager about you. Take it in stride and Keep On Flirtin’!

3. The Navy Corpsman says:

The manager considered the store to be his private pussy hunting grounds.

The Navy Corpsman

The girls are jelly that you talk to all of them, and since they can’t feel special and uniquely attractive, they’re cutting you down.

Sour grapes, kids.

5. OffTheCuff says:

The girls you didn’t flirt with complained.

6. Shade Zero says:

I figure some of the guys that work there said something and the girls didn’t say anything at all.

7. dannyfrom504 says:

I talked to Mentu about this and basically, he saw me interacting with the girls and doing well, and got jealous and decided to “address the issue”.

Makes sense since i honestly can’t recall an interaction where the girl seemed weirded out.

The manager is a 40’ish yo fat guy. What Mentu told me made a lot of sense. I plan on talking with a few of the girls there about this.

I shall offer a follow up.

• Vicomte says:

Boring.

I like my version better. Your version’s been done to death.

Lol. Sorry to dissappoint. You can always start a blog and post about your misadventures in the SMP.

But your analysis is incorrect. I flirt with ALL the girls. No jelly going on.

• Vicomte says:

The idea being that any single girl would be jelly that they’re not the only one you’re flirting with. Your analysis of my analysis is incorrect, sir.

I’m making you the supapeemp of the supamarkit and all you got is ‘Fat manager thinks I’m a douche’.

That said, we can never know for certain what exactly is going on here. Might as well pick something fun.

• Sean says:

I was right!

8. Matt says:

I’m tired of the hatred I get from some of the women in this gods forsaken city. Narrowminded liberals who think people like me aren’t even fully human. It’s painful to learn that many of them would rather I didn’t exist at all. And, as a male, I’m not allowed to ever admit to the pain.

Yeah, it really sucks.

Embrace the pain Brother. It’s the first step to true Alpha. Embrace you and your faults, dreams, worries.

There is true strength in accepting reality. Don’t run, Fight the good fight.

• Matt says:

I’m tired of fighting. I’m too old for things to turn around for me. I haven’t had a lover since about the time you hit puberty. I’m just so tired. I now hurt both physically and emotionally every single day and night. I realize that there isn’t any future for me and that when I die, not only will no one miss me, no one will even notice. That’s how sick today’s world is.

And to make it worse, this is me after an upbeat week.

• stormy says:

You’re never too old for things to turn around for you! Never! Thinking that is one of the most limiting beliefs you could have!

• Songirl says:

Matt,
        I know physical pain itself can be incredibly depressing. I’m sorry you are having such a rough time. I hope something happens today that brings a smile to your face.
        Be well,
        Jennifer

Songirl-
        you know physical pain: looking at that picture of my fat face. i really wanna walk into oncoming traffic. i seriously have the sex appeal of leukemia and leprosy. kill me.

9. John Doe says:

Matt, man the fuck up. Get a life. Do shit that you like. Quit worrying about women. Work out like a mother. Get interesting hobbies. Earn more money. Straighten YOUR life out and they will suddenly be as interested as bees to nectar.

10. ASF says:

Cute girl.

11. […] From 504 – Woe Of Women, Fuck My Life, Advice From Cholos, Steak Au Poivre, Socially Unacceptable, The Twenty Minute ONS […]

12. Spacetraveller says:

The girl is beautiful, Danny.
    Wish I could say something that would uplift Matt…

13. Kleyau says:

Danny, the simple response is, “No, they didn’t.” If you’re half way decent at reading people, you should spot the lie/truth from his immediate reaction. Hold frame, and if need be, flip the script and call him out for blatantly hitting on the women himself (the Bill Lumbergh style of speech work great in that situation).

14. las artes says:

theres one girls feels sorry when a guy gets hurt even if they actually hate them also girls like guys who are cool,sweet,and the most of all respectful.

15. Phoenix says:

Manager was jealous. Happens most of the time, even to me. Whenever I’m in conversation with a female co-worker who’s pretty, my bald-headed manager always comes up within a minutes notice to tell me to get back to work, or to tell the girl to stop bothering me.

However, when I talk to one of the ugly old girls, I’ll never see him come around.

The guy is a total toolbag, but I’ve managed to contain my anger for him, and instead do 1 thing or the other:
    1. Agree and amplify, and talk to the girl for a few seconds more before going back to work
    2. Ignore him, but if he persists in breaking it up, respond with ‘ok’ and then talk a bit more before going back to work.

This manager spit bullshit though – girls liked the flirty stuff. Then he switched over to being a nice guy because he probably didn’t want to lose your business, or may have thought you were getting irritated and just didn’t want to piss you off.

Everyone has an agenda that forms through their emotions.