Brody’s Surgery

Today is going to suck for me. I dropped Brody off at 7am to get his teeth cleaned. I HATE this procedure. He’s basically immune to pain but during the procedure, they administer general anesthetic. Well, he recovers for the anesthetic VERY poorly. My normally goofy, jubilant floppy eared son lies about howling, and whining. Brody HATES being held, but when they bring him out, he can barely walk, so I walk up to him, pick him up and he literally goes limp in my arms.

When we get home, he stumbles into his den and then begins my torture. There’s NOTHING I can do ease his recovery. I’ve NEVER heard him make the sounds he makes until I first took him in to get his toofus’s cleaned. When I walked into the clinic in Spain I heard this God awful howling. I finally asked what the hell the racket was I was informed, “That’s your dog.” I almost ran to the back to grab him. I’m assuming the vet tech could tell by my concerned expression and obvious disapproval so she immediately brought him out. I had already paid so I grabbed Brody and rushed him to home.

I shit you not, I almost broke into tears more than once. I deal with it much better now, lol, but I still get pretty choked up. Tonight is NOT going to be a good night for me. Oh you think i’m bull-shitting you- take a gander for yourself.

his IV site.

18 Comments on “Brody’s Surgery”

1. sosweet2362 says:

Video is marked private dear…

2. sosweet2362 says:

Awww…

3. Spacetraveller says:

Poor Brody,

Give him a cuddle for me Danny.

4. MissMarie says:

Vitamin C given a few days prior to anesthesia helps horses recover quickly, I wonder if it would help poor Brody?

😦

5. driversuz says:

Find a vet who offers gas anesthesia! It’ll cost a LOT more, but it’s much gentler on the dog; reversal is almost instantaneous, with a very short recovery time.

tbh, this episode was MUCH less serious than usual. i’m hoping he’s older and more used to it by now. he didn’t whine as much, he just kept nuzzling with me so i could pet him.

6. AndyW says:

You know brushing your dogs teeth is not that difficult, might be worth giving it a try Mine acyualy loves it. We get dog mint toothpaste and an electric toothbrush and brush them once a week. FAR less tramatic than what the vet does. He goes silly trying to lick the toothbrush, its quit comical. My dog is 9 years old and the vet compliments his teeth every time we are there. For both of your sakes id give it a shot at least

7. stormy says:

When my fat old cat got surgery he was so high on pain meds he slept in his litter box for two days. He was not even capable of getting out of his litter box to sleep.

8. MissMarie says:

Can you get him some raw meaty bones to chew? That would help cut down on buildup a lot, I’m not sure which bones are most recommended but I could find out if you want to give it a shot. Downside is that they’re kinda messy sometimes.