What Would Tyler Durden Do?

Since the reader’s came through- time to keep my word.

if you haven’t read fight club, read it now……or quit following my blog. fight club came out right around the time the “sensitive 90’s male” horse-shit was being pushed. to this day, if i hear a hootie and the blowfish song, i wanna bite someone’s face.

i digress.

i think fight club encompasses the struggles of today’s man. the book really resonated with me. especially since most men simply won’t fight. now that i’m back on days i want to get back into krav maga.

this post harkens back to my “Chosen Few” post. in a sense, i see the Sphere as being a blog community “fight club”. there’s a TON of wisdom to be taken from Chuck’s book. i hope you have enough gumption to take the time and read it.

29 Comments on “What Would Tyler Durden Do?”

If Marilyn Monroe was alive right now, what would she be doing?

2. M3 says:

I never read it but me and my brother loved the movie. I was never big on fighting. Maybe part of my feminist teachings to use my head instead of my fists to solve problems and arguments. Bah. But what i did take from that film was early disconnection from working for the man, the system, locking into a consumer spend/debt/surrender/enslavement. Working longer hours for shit you don’t need, buying more shit than you can afford just to keep up with the jones’s, and working even more hours at a job that eats away at your soul and for what.. to earn the privilege to pop out some kids and put even more hours into work to afford more shit, rinse repeat, and then lose all ability to keep your dignity or self respect because your boss, you wife, the system all have the power to destroy you if you don’t fall to your knees, beg, grovel, acquiesce and swallow every last bit of pride you had in yourself as a man, which one eventually does and you finally kill yourself.

Eff that.

That movie was the start of setting me free! I’ll always thank my brother for introducing it to me.

@danny

CP showed his true (rainbow) colors on that one. A naked guy with sand in his hair on the beach, playing with wood.

I didn’t even know anything about Chuck Palahniuk at the time, and I still remember thinking ‘Gaaaaaaaay’.

4. kurtzdidact says:

I watch this movie at least once a month, it’s that good in my opinion. Rarely is a movie better than the book it’s based on, but Fincher managed to do just that. Brad Pitt’s finest role, and his most iconic.

“No fear. No distractions. The ability to let that which does not matter truly slide.”

Yes, yes, i’m well aware of it’s “argh, rage against the machine” bullshit veneer that most people tend to give it. I’m aware that the book actually advocates not following Tyler’s vision completely, but that he is an extreme. I wouldn’t even go so far as to call Durden a role model. But he is an exceptional example of frame, channeling one’s desires to constructive (or destructive in Tyler’s case) means, and aloofness.

Or maybe I just want to punch someone. Who’s up for it?

Indeed, it’s extreme. But the sentiment CP was touching on to me was the real selling point.

The last time I dropped a guy in a fight was early this year- I think.

Can’t wait to get back into Krav.

5. Chrysalis says:

I know excerpts from Fight Club by heart.

In fact, it’s my secret weapon in learning German: I read the book in German and since I already know how most of the sentences go in English, it sticks better in my memory.

You cannot do this with a book you don’t know that well.

6. Chrysalis says:

Oh, and do read “non fiction” by Chuck, it’s a collection of real stories. You know, truth is stranger than fiction.

Also, Chuck has some literary works that caused people to faint on public readings. No, it’s not black magic.

7. Young Hunter says:

I actually read the book at the suggestion of a female. It wouldn’t be far off the mark to say she was really my first introduction to red pill thinking, though she had never heard of the Sphere until I later found it and pointed her to it. The more you go through the more the book resonates.

8. Jacquie says:

We just watched this movie for the first time this past weekend. The book is now on our ‘must read’ list for both my husband and myself. A very enlightening work; I look foward to reading what was left out of the movie along with some of Palahniuk’s other writings I added to my reading list.

9. Benji says:

Chuck Palahniuck is a great writer, may I suggest Guts?

10. mothersmurfer says:

Within the past year I screened the movie for my teenage son. He’s watched it twice on his own since then. He’s seen in me the effects of the feminist take-over of our culture and the punishments it metes out for men. I’m trying to point him toward red pill wisdom. I think it’s working. He’s banged cuter chicks than I have. So proud.

Hell yeah. Good on you for teaching your boy right.

Lost my virginity at 14. Lol. After that I was on a mission. Just reiterate condoms and NOT getting a girl pregnant.

That’s what my MOM did. Lol.

11. stormy says:

I always took away a completely different message from fight club, and I criticize the sphere’s obsession with fight club on my blog. At the end of the novel he’s trying to escape from it. In a way, you can see how detached from it he’s become (though he’s still trapped in the middle of something he doesn’t fully believe) and surrounded by a ton of crazy sycophants. He despises the fight clubbers.

12. redpillwifey says:

I am Jack’s raging bile duct. 😉

13. Derp says:

Anyone else find it ironic that for a book and movie so opposed to conformity and commercialization, there’s a crapload of Fight Club merchandise out there?

14. […] ITLR: The Return Of The Great One, ITLR: Running A Soft Harem,My New Baby, To The Lurkers. . ., What Would Tyler Durden, Karaoke […]

15. […] from 504: ITLR- Smoke and Drink Up; ITLR: Yup, Pretty Much; It’s Not About Me; Karaoke Game; What Would Tyler Durden Do?; Pork 3 […]