The Piano Man

So, I mentioned I was going to explain HOW I ended up in the Navy, and make no mistake, I ENDED UP here. Lol. I was a young man of 20, living in a small town in Texas- just outside of Corpus. I had attended junior college for a year, and was working at a refinery. I didn’t like college, and I have severe dyslexia (which accounts for 50% of my typos, the other 50 is plain old laziness) and could not pass college algebra. Still haven’t been able to get past “REMEDIAL” college algebra. So there’s that. Well, I was working at the job, it was a great gig. I had a GF and I was in love with. Life was fucking peachy. One day, I had an epiphany. I was at a friend’s BBQ watching football with the GF, and I noticed something.

I was there with friends, some had graduated HS 3-4 years before I did, and I drove to work with 2 of said friends. They had a kid or kids. I realized I was going to be just like them. I’d end up getting girl pregnant, I’d buy a house there in town, and I’d be working the job….(maybe even getting promoted) for the rest of my life.

And it scared the shit out of me.

One of my friends had a brother in the navy. He got letters from him from Spain. I KNEW that I wanted to do that as well. Next thing you know, I was enlisted and was going to go to boot-camp, then Corpseman “A” school.

This marked the first adult decision I had made in my entire life and the first decision that did NOT have anything to do with women. As a young man all we think about is pussy. Sorry, but it’s true. Once I knew something other than urine could come from my mule, I was on a mission. Lol. As a young man most of your decisions center around GIRLS.

But this time, I was making a decision for ME, just about ME, and the benefit ME. And all I wanted to do was live in Europe. I was raw when it came to game, but it came to me eventually. But the most important and biggest red-pill part of my decision was that I was centered on what was in MY best interest. Of course the inability to thrive in academia might have gotten me OUT of the Navy. Lol.

This post is meant to send a message to the young men in the ‘Sphere. The SINGLE young men. I fully understand a man that is married is making decisions based on what’s best for his FAMILY, I get that.

No. This is for the 20 year old cats wandering this world in a haze. This is YOUR LIFE. It olny happens ONE TIME. What are you going to do with it? Put down the video game, go outside, get an interesting hobby. Learn to do things that interest you that you DON’T know how to do. Currently, I’m taking piano lessons. My Paw-Paw is a GREAT piano player. When he dies I’d like to be the one playing piano. I could care LESS what anyone thinks about it. I have hobbies, things that relax me, that have NOTHING to do with women. But guess what, ALL WOMEN I know think said hobby is sexy. I’ll post more on that tomorrow.

Now, I’m almost 40. I’ve lived all over the world. I learned game, I have TONS of cool stories to tell, I do well with women BECAUSE of what I did in my life. You’ve already found the blogs, so you have a head start. You’ll get good with women, that’ll come as you understand and practice it. But it doesn’t matter how good you are with game if you’re just plain uninteresting. Notice most of my posts are stories from my past. I’m actually jealous of you younger cats because you know a lot more about this than I did in my 20. Had I known then, what I know now….. yeah, I know it’s cliché’, but I blog to pass on to younger guys things I’ve PROVEN works. And look at me. I’m NOT a great looking guy and I’m short as fuck. I want you guys to do me a favor. Pick a month, ANY month, and take up a hobby you’ve always been interested in. QUIT THINKING ABOUT WOMEN during this month. Become a better you.

Watch the results, and up your game.

When a woman asks me what I do for a living and if I like her I’ll say, “I’m a professional girl kisser and world traveler.” Lol. Which isn’t really that far from the truth. They smile and laugh, and of course I compliment her smile. She’ll get somewhat embarrassed and I’ll tell her her BF is lucky. If I find she’s single, I ask her if she taking applications. Lol. Never NOT number closed with that. And it only took 3 minutes.

Looking forward to hear what hobby you undertook.

Stay up.

12 Comments on “The Piano Man”

Danny from 504, Navy Corpseman.

Shepherd of Spent Seamen.

I took violin lessons a couple years ago. I used to show up drunk and bullshit with my instructor. It’s incredibly difficult to properly rosin a bow while seeing double.

2. RojoC says:

Joining up is always on the back of my mind. I already speak Italian and am well on my way in learning Russian. I know my way around firearms too. Yes, I’m 20.

most guys joining now are doing so because of the economy. if you honestly decide to, shoot me an email.

• Wald says:

I’m on a path to join and would like to hear your perspective on it. I’ll send you an email tomorrow (it’s bed time tonight).

• RojoC says:

Thanks Danny, I really appreciate that. I’ve been talking with some guys about it, trying to find what would be right for me. My plan is to finish school, and then see what happens. That way I keep my options open and then see what happens. I had actually been looking at Big Blue (even with their retarded yellow belts).

3. Athor Pel says:

Young guys going into the military,

This is for enlisted guys.
    Do not let the recruiter railroad you. He has a quota to meet. He needs a certain number of bodies going into certain training pipelines every month. He wants to put you in the first one you fit in. Do not let him do it.

Find out every job you qualify for and then pick the job/training you want. Do a delayed enlistment if you have to but do not just take any job the recruiter puts in front of you.

When I say find out every job I mean it. The recruiter should have a book or binder or computer database with every job listed in it. Ask for that book, read it all. Then make your decision. I made my decision based on the training I would receive. I took the job with the longest tech school while also having something to do with intelligence gathering. Part of the decision was made for me since I’m color blind enough to be disqualified for very many military jobs. It was one of the only ones left to choose from that fit my criteria.

This is for prospective officers.
    There is more than one way to become a commissioned officer. Not only do we have the service academies but there is also ROTC and OTS. I will not describe getting into a service academy or how ROTC works.

I will describe OTS since most folks don’t know about it. OTS is officer training school and requires you to have at least a bachelors degree before applying. You apply at the same recruiter the enlisted guys use. The degree program you did has a great deal to do with whether you get the appointment. Whereas the other commissioning channels assume intent to serve on the part of the student, OTS is for the person that decides to serve after they finish their degree program.

Expect actual OTS to be a royal pain in the ass. From what I heard it is much more stressful and much more stringent than enlisted boot camp. It is also longer.

Now for a warning.
    Depending on the moral flexibility of the recruiter and the amount of pressure he is under he may tell you to lie about some thing from your background. This becomes important because your military career will be built on that lie if you tell it. If you get found out your career will be over when you get found out.

Let me give you an example. Drug use. If you’ve used drugs the military wants to know about it. The higher the security clearance your job requires the more they want to know. Funnily enough even if you were a total stoner before you joined they will still give you a clearance as long as you tell them about it and stay clean, (don’t get caught), while you are in. I went to school with one of those guys so I know what I’m talking about. They don’t care whether you’ve taken drugs in your past they just don’t want you to be open to blackmail and that you aren’t taking drugs while on the job, which in the military is technically 24/7.

Personally, I told the military that I had never used drugs. At all. Whereas the truth was that I had smoked some weed once when I was 14. The recruiter told me to lie about it on the background check paperwork. He said it would be easier to do it that way. So I did. Lucky for me the background investigators never talked to the guys I smoked weed with. Partly because their names never showed up on the background check plus the people’s names I did use didn’t know the guys I smoked weed with.

But it was a pain in the ass since the whole time I was enlisted I had to fill out the same damn moral/legal statement paperwork every time I got orders to some new base and that paperwork had the same questions about drug use on them and I had to remember to lie every single time. So it was lie after lie after lie. If I had gotten orders to one particular base which subjects all new personnel to polygraph tests I would have likely gotten caught and then lost my security clearance since I had proven that I was a liar. But I didn’t get those orders and didn’t get caught.

Last piece of advice.
    Don’t just talk to old guys like me. I got out in 1991. The US military is a different place now than it was then.

Find recently separated veterans or guys like Danny here that are still in. Talk to them, talk to more than one if you can. Listen to everything they say. Listen as much to what they don’t say as to what they actual verbalize. Watch their body language, their facial expressions. Listen to the tone of their voice as much as the words. They may think they are telling what you need to know but those things were true for them. They may or may not be true for you.

One possible thing that might help you make a go/no-go decision is this. Gauge yourself against them in how strong you imagine their will is compared to yours. If you don’t think you have it in you to overcome times of extreme stress and still function then the military is not for you. Because, even if you only serve one enlistment, that is still several years of high stress, poor nutrition, sleep deprivation and immune system assault.

You will be a different person when you get out. Just basic training will change you. Can you stand to be so changed? Think long and hard on it.

It took me about two years to get back to having normal emotional responses after I got out. And I was in the Air Force and sat in a chair to do my job. But I worked rotating shifts much of the time while I was in. That’s three days working a mid-shift, three days working a day shift, and three days working a swing shift followed by 48 hours of time off where I usually slept 12 to 15 hours immediately after my last work day. The work days were 8 hours straight and most of that was high stress crap I can’t talk about.

Military culture is raw. Just ask Danny. He’ll tell you. Unless a family member has served they will not understand if you come back with a hard edged personality spouting hurtful profanity by reflex. Yes, after I got out I made my Mother cry by accident one day. Thank you USAF, for training me how to be a bastard to my Mother.

That’s enough.

Still want to serve?

• Vicomte says:

I’m not going to say what one should do, one way or the other, but I was in the Marine Corps DEP a couple years back. I was discharged before I shipped, so I can’t offer any advice, but I can say that EVERYONE lied about something. There was no shortage of applicants back then, and if you told them you had a sinus infection when you were a kid you’d get bounced.

Drug use was always whittled down to marijuana five or ten times. Medical conditions that weren’t serious were not mentioned at all.

Recruiters never tried to force anyone into any MOS. We were expecting them to, but they didn’t. Everyone received the giant binder of MOS and we were allowed all the time we needed with it, and if someone wanted a job that wasn’t available, our NCOIC would make some calls and shuffle things around to get it for you. Still, probably best to enlist at the beginning of the fiscal year, when more things are open. I got my number one choice easily.

That said, the other branches seemed much more like meat markets. They didn’t even PT and they didn’t really seem to give a fuck about their recruits. YMMV.

A final note on honesty:

I discovered I had a couple previously unknown medical conditions a few months before I shipped. My Sergeants did all they could to accommodate me, but I decided I couldn’t lie about it. My subsequent discharge remains the defining disappointment of my life, to this day. Looking back, I’m not sure I would have made the same decision. The guys that lied are all Marines now.

4. RojoC says:

And thank you guys for your posts as well. I appreciate them.

5. Spacetraveller says:

Hey Piano Man!
    Are you taking requests from the floor?

Good!

Beethoven Piano Concerto Number 3, please. Third and final movement.
    Oh, and I would like to see your hands throughout the performance, please.
    (Don’t ask – long and weird story).

Much obliged, Signor Maestro 😀

6. deti says:

My hobby was road trips. Get in the car, drive to the local attractions within 100 miles.

I’ve seen every winery, mom and pop restaurant, hole in the wall dive restaurant, state park, museum, novelty shop, college, university, historical monument, and significant natural landmark within that 100 mile radius.

I’ve gone by myself. I’ve gone with old friends. I’ve taken dates.

Fun.

7. pvw says:

“Currently, I’m taking piano lessons. My Paw-Paw is a GREAT piano player. When he dies I’d like to be the one playing piano.”

Hi, here is something you might enjoy listening to you, to inspire, perhaps? Two versions of the same tune…