Setting Up a Kitchen for a Single ManPosted: March 26, 2013
i’m so used to posting recipes that i realized i never did a post on how to equip your kitchen. now, most people don’t need all the crap i have. but i cook often and have everything i need. i realize most guys don’t need what i do. so here is a list of crucial equipment for your kitchen.
1. a quality chef knife, carving knife and paring knife. i don’t have a sharpening utensil, but it’s a good idea to cop one.
2. a heavy bottomed frying pan (preferably cast iron), sauce pot, and med sized pot. i prefer ALL.METAL as you can transfer pot to oven without melting anything. i also like pot’s that have a pressure release valve. but thats just me.
3. quality dutch oven. i have 2. one is fucking huge (given to me by Maw-Maw and Paw-Paw). most guys really only need one. most come seasoned but if you’d like season it yourself
4. wooden cooking spoon (at least 2), and quality plastic spatula.
5. colender. plastic or metal, doesn’t matter to me. this is mostly for straining pasta and rice. but’s it’s also good for removing unwanted solids from a broth or sauce.
i really can’t think of much else, but more can be added according to your needs. so please, don’t drop $100 on an 8 piece pot/pan set. most guys only need 3-4 basic pieces.
also see CIJ post about equipping your kitchen- equiping your kitchen
also, i’m not much for sweets and what not; BUT, my baby Sis is a certified pastry chef. if you’re looking for simple desert recipes and entrées check out her site