Joining the Military

after reading ETD and learning that Aaron would have joined the military and knowing the job market today whilst finishing my final year of active duty service….i think i can speak on this topic.

april 14th 1994 i left for boot-camp. but before that day, i had already made some SERIOUS choices regarding my time in. i was fortunate enough to have an uncle that retired navy and gave me some tips. here’s what he told me, and some of my suggestions.

know what type of work you want to do- nothing will make 5 years suck more than doing a job you have no interest in. on that note, choose a job that PAYS IN THE CIVILIAN WORLD. do you want to fix computers, work in electronics, medical, construction? have at least 3 fields in the back of your mind. if they offer you a field, ask for the card that gives job specifics. if at the end of the day, they don’t offer you a field you’re interested in…..tell them you’re sorry for wasting their time and walk away. realize…they just spent money on lab work, doctor’s to examine you, etc. they WANT you by this point. call their bluff, and walk. of course, this MAY not work since we have such a shitty economy right now; hence my suggesting you have a few fields open.

a few i know of that do well- biomedical technician, air electronics, radiology technician, air mechanics, mechanic- general, information technology (IT), nuclear medicine- better be good in math, interior communications- basically a cable guy, ultrasound technician, MRI tech, paralegal, and i haven’t even gotten into the SPEC-OP’s stuff yet.

now you have to choose your service. first off, let me say…..avoid the air force. i only say this since they have a history of fucking you over on your field of choice. they’ll sign you up as going to “whatever” MOS, but if it’s not available when you finish bootcamp…..you’ll do your first 5 years doing whatever they can’t give away. had a friend join the AF and signed on as a bio-med tech. he went to bootcamp, then found out he was going to fix ejector seats on jets- in phoenix arizona, for the next 5 years. he got out when his time was up.

the other services GUARANTEE you your field of choice.

ARMY- the good news; afghanistan is winding down. so the deployments are slimming down as well. the only thing with the army is that you get trained in a very specific field. say you want to work in medical. well WHAT in medical do you want to do? if you want to be an ortho tech….you’ll be putting casts on for 5 years. auto mechanic- you’ll be in the motor pool fixing cars/trucks/tanks/helo’s/planes (based on what you want to fix). the good news is, as long as you do well on your PFT, and don’t become a discipline case; you WILL advance quickly. expect to make E7 (senior enlisted) in 10 years. that’s pretty damn good money. and the more rank you get, the less you work in your given field and work more in management.

USMC- basically the same as the army, you just get a prettier uniform and you have access to better pussy- especially if you get stationed in pendleton. FACT- marines get MAD PUSSY. plus you WILL be trained in the best enlisted combat available. army are soldiers, but marines are fucking warriors. in the marines, you are either division or group. division are the grunts….badasses (and they pride themselves on that), and group (POG’s) does all the other work in the USMC- mechanics, admin, computers, etc. there’s no medical jobs in the USMC though, which leads us to……..

NAVY- i chose navy since Paw-Paw was in it, and my uncle is a retired E7. realize with the navy you have the real possibility of SEA DUTY- going to a ship. many rates (navy jobs) are sea duty heavy and the sea/shore rotation is harsh. my ex was an ET (electronics tech) and her sea/shore rotation was 5/2 (5 years on a ship, 2 years shore). YEAH. DO NOT accept a rate until you have “seen the card” (a placard that explains the job). choosing a job is the last part of enlisting. DO NOT accept navy apprenticeship. you will be a slave until you get an “A” school. “A” school is just formal job training in either seaman, air, and fireman skills. look it up, i’m not going into detail. just don’t apprentice- they’ll sell it as “a way to see what you want to do.” tell them you want an A school. PERIOD. and if you’re wondering what i do in the navy- i’m a Corpsman. i was a 0000 (general duty) and now i’m an 8452 (advanced radiography tech). HM (corpsman) offers some VERY lucrative fields of work, and the best general medical training you could ask for. you get trained in the basics then learn on the job more advanced skills. and you are EXPECTED to excel….because that what HM’s do.

5 years will suck if you’re doing a job you have no interest in. and make sure you can get a job as a civilian in the field you choose. that’s the strongest point of the military- REAL.LIFE.JOB.TRAINING. companies LOVE hiring military folk. FACT. plus they’ll pay for college and give you 30 days of vacay time a year. now…..a word of advice.

DO.NOT.GET.MARRIED!!!!!!!! you’re there to get your shit together, not land a wife and possibly land in MGTOW hell. DO.NOT.GET.A.WOMAN.PREGNANT. you will not believe how many couples meet in boot camp/job training and get married after knowing each other for 2-3 months. YES. i’m serious. shit amazed me when i saw it unfold. and it STILL happens. i had a LOOOOOOOOOONG talk with my nephew when i learned he joined the army. and avoiding marriage was a HUGE talking point. look, you’re there to learn a skill and be employable as a civilian, fuck all you want, just avoid marriage. ok.

BOOTCAMP- aaaaaaah yes. 2 months of deconstruction. look boot camp is a mind fuck. they break you down to build you up. get yer ass in shape as best as you can before hand in the form of- push ups, sit ups, pull ups, and running. run 2 miles (army/navy) and 3 miles (USMC). in boot camp, the most important meal is breakfast. DO.NOT eat the eggs. eat cereal (preferably raisin bran) and drink coffee for the first 2-3 weeks. realize- you will NOT shit for the first 2 weeks. this is why i recommend the diet i do until you shit. once you shit, eat whatever.

DO.NOT be an individual during boot camp. every company has a “bug”; that guy that fucks it up for the entire company, the “gomer pyle” in full metal jacket. DON’T BE THAT GUY!!!!!!! don’t worry about being the best, just do your best. you quit, they fuck with you and you become a mark. you CAN do what they’re asking you, so never quit. keep your head in the game and just focus on what you need to do that day. that’s the best advice i can give. my nephew said after graduating boot camp he felt like he could do anything, and that his approach anxiety died. he didn’t give a fuck, he just went for it…..and pulled/s like a champ.

Aaron mentioned the retirement pension aspect. YEAH. realize it’s not going to be good for you like it is for me. i joined in 1994, i will get 1/2 of my base pay for a pension. it’s changed now, and i don’t know exactly how it works. ask your recruiter. and DO NOT trust a recruiter who pushes you. my recruiter was cool, he was informative and didn’t try to push me in any direction. keep your eye on your 6. lol.

SPEC-OPS- let’s be honest. some of you are wolves and want to kill and be general bad asses. i took the test to determine if i could go to BUDS (Basic Underwater Demolition School- SEAL training) and NAILED IT. well, i know guys in the SPEC-OPS field. get along well with them. if you decide to go this path, COMMIT to it. it will be the hardest thing you ever do. it will push you PAST your limit. NEVER QUIT. push through it. remember- the only easy day was yesterday.

so- choose the right service, the right field, and bang out your first 5 years and determine if you want to stick with it. if you decide to do 20, figure out the quickest way to E9 (top enlisted rank) or a commission (becoming an officer). take advantage of exotic locales for duty stations (overseas duty OWNS), and see as much as you can. i’m my 19 years i’ve had a blast. seen some pretty morbid shit, but that’s the job i chose; so, no regrets.

also, realize, IF you get married while on active duty; the woman you marry has access to 1/2 your pension after a certain amount of time being married. i thought it was after 10 years, but i’m being told by some it’s 15. then the state you married in has a say in it. look, personally…..i’d NEVER get married while on active duty. NEVER. besides i have serious game, thusly i am never deprived of female attention.

and lastly….WOMEN. military women SUCK by and large. i’ll fuck a military woman, but i’d NEVER commit to one. a military 7 is a civilian hard 5/soft 6. and you will see white-knight’s and beta’s like a motherfuck. seriously. you will witness 4’s being white-knighted and pedalstalized like victoria’s secrets models. YES, you have some cool girls, but the ratio is probably 1:20. learn game, get laid (it’s easy in the military- just don’t get a chick preggers), and learn all you can. you’d be amazed at what you can accomplish by the time you’re 22-23. i joined at 20. and by 25 i was ready to take on the world. now- i’m 39, and about to get a pension along with memories that i could never get anywhere else- from all over the world.

if you choose to join up, PLEASE email me with any questions. i’ll do my best to answer any specific questions. hope this post helped some of you.

i'm seksi and i know it. goofing off at xray school in san deezy

i’m seksi and i know it. goofing off at xray school in san deezy

the radiology crew in Spain.

the radiology crew in Spain.

shooting shit on my ship.

shooting shit on my ship.

OH. i have a question for you guys. SunShineMary made a t-shirt for the blog. well, i was thinking of have shirts made. IF you guys are willing to purchase one, let me know and i’ll have them made. the support from you guys means the world to me. if you’d be willing to buy a Dannyfrom504 shirt from me directly……please let me know. i appreciate it.

89 Comments on “Joining the Military”

1. Mik says:

Good, now i get to ask a properly qualified individual. Dan, how do the Rangers and Airborne units stack up to the Marines?

My country has National Service. I did my 2 years in Civil Defence. My 2 cents, dont take anything personally. Its all mental. The guys you serve with are usually the same people who end up being your best mates for life.

there’s a saying in the USMC that ranger’s are soldiers trained to be Marines. lol. USMC SOI (school of infantry) produces the most capable war mongering bastards on the battlefield. if i had to go into the suck, send me with a Marine Div than an Army div.

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 6:37 PM, dannyfrom504

• kleyau says:

Rangers > Marines > Airborne Infantry > Infantry. Rangers are airborne and smarter than Marines because of the GT requirements. Marines are better trained then the 82nd and 101st, but the airborne units can still drop in a metric shit ton of soldiers.

Plus, going airborne means going to the alpha male capital of the world, Bragg. It’s a totally different animal than any place you’ve ever been.

2. vicmonty says:

U

3. Ton says:

You’re a Ranger or you’re a pu$$y….( not really but it sounds good). When higher tier SpecOps units need firepower they bring Rangers with them, not marines. One of their big missions is added firepower for tier 1 outfits

I’ve made a career out of pulling jarheads out of the shit. Individual marine can be good men, his staff officers cannot plan a boy scout meeting. Marines have never had to bail me or my unit out. My ex brother in law (marine infantry O6) will tell you the same thing.

Rangers are SpecOps, basic marine infantry is not. Rangers do the basic infantry mission at a much higher level.

Paratroopers jump out of planes, marines…. not so much. It was as a Paratrooper that I got into the marine saving bidness.

My son is looking at $750 a day or so when he’s done with his enlistment as a Ranger. Part of that is because he was a paramedic before be joined, but not sure how much that adds to his pay.

• Vicomte says:

Also of note, whatever branch you join will expect you to fucking represent.

It’s helpful to learn the most effective methods of taking the piss out of the various doggies, squids, jarheads and chair force kids early.

You will be quizzed.

Military channel has a series called “surviving the cut” where they show the screening process to various elites military units.

4. Ton says:

Ps, if you want to go SpecOps, do it. Train smart before you go, realize it sucks for everyone and 100’s of men a year earn tabs, scrolls, tridents etc a year. Luck plays a factor but desire, and intelligently applied hard work counts for more

Don’t forget the AF does have some good SpecOps jobs.

Ranger the fuck up

I’m talking basic marine infantry vs. basic army infantry. My nephew is in mechanized infantry unit in Helmand atm.

He wanted to go USMC. Lol.

• Ton says:

Helmand is one of the places I bailed out the marines. We got all the hard targets, they get the press. Like with Fluijha.

I’ve seen to much to buy into the marine corps hype. Started in 89 when we got our asses chewed for taking the marines objective ( did not know, it was in the way and they were late) and grew from there.

Don’t knock the NG. Takes awhile for them to find their grove but afterwards they do a fine job. Even have a couple of NG SF groups

Top secrets are a gold mine

TACP guys have an interesting gig, but you will spend more time on a radio the firing range. Buddy of mine was a little disappointed in that.

• Ton says:

Nope calling it like I’ve seen it over 24 years. Not my fault the marines staff lets down their grunts

• blogRot says:

“Top secrets are a gold mine”

True dat; I let my clearance lapse but a shipmate of mine still has his, and is at present very gainfully employed in the military industrial complex. I’m currently pay-comfortable, but he’s *comfortable*. FWIW, we were both Navy ETs and did our A school together.

I’m sure the other branches of the service have rates/MOS(s?) that can get these upper level clearances, but I’m only familiar with the Navy. They are there as C schools, and if you want these jobs you need to plan to get it *before* shipping out to boot camp.

1. No.
        2. No.
        3. Never, sir.

^ as posted below, those are the key words @ MEPS to unlock the doors to something other than scrubbing the Captain’s head for three years (your fourth year will be supervising said shitter cleanup). And your military career should not be an impulse thing; think clearly about what you want to achieve while serving out your obligation.

And that there is a lot of chest candy you’ve got Danny even dated back when pic’d as HM2; how many stars on your NAM when you EAOS?

blogRot-

my gf on the ship was an ET (comms). needless to say, our TvTS link was ALWAYS point.

5. ARoss says:

What no mention of the National guard? lol

As I’ve mentioned before, enlisting entails a certain amount of bureaucratic omission these days. Make sure your medical shit is squared away up front, legal issues, debt, things like that.

There are only three correct answers at MEPS:

1. No
    2. No
    3 Never, sir.

If you education is lacking, talk to a recruiter about what your best option is. DON’T GET A GED UNLESS EXPLICITLY INSTRUCTED BY A RECRUITER AT YOUR BRANCH OF CHOICE.

Enlisting at the beginning of the fiscal year or timing your ship date with same will ensure you get the most options in MOS. If you can’t get what you want this year, join the DEP and train and wait until next year when you can get the job you want.

Score well on the ASVAB and you can have any job you want. Candidates are rated by their educational qualifications (High School diploma or equivalent at the top with plus college a nice bonus, followed by GED and then incompletes. YOU CANNOT ENLIST WITH A GED WITHOUT A WAIVER. ), ASVAB scores, physical fitness scores, and any other real skills they might have. Your ASVAB scores determine what you can do on paper, and therefore what you can do in the military.

Decide what you’re comfortable lying about up front. This will be important.

• adiaforon says:

Yep, don’t forget about the ASVAB. The higher you score, the more options you have open to you when you enlist. If they don’t have what you want or are dicking around, then, as Danny says, walk. You owe them nothing until after you sign on the dotted line and raise your hand to take the oath.

Also, remember to always keep your eyes on the prize education-wise. That is, if you have the chance to take college credit courses and get an associate’s on the government’s dime, go for it and don’t waste your time. Have your fun, but realize that the more you do while on active duty, the less time you’ll have to spend getting those first credentials once you get out, if you plan on doing only four or five years. And, make sure they’re CIVILIAN credentials. I remember watching an episode of John Stewart late last year where they had two military med techs on. Neither of them could find a job, and Stewart asked them if they had any civilian certifications. Both looked at him with blank stares. Clearly, they had not thought about this.

Lastly, though you might get mad pussy, keep in mind that DoD is now going bananas about sexual harassment charges. There’s zero tolerance for any of that and you could lose your career over one false accusation if you’re not careful. My former military buddies told me some stories that can give one pause. Better to either bang the local girls where you’re stationed (and don’t knock them up), or keep to yourself and work on what you’re going to do when you get out.

lol. my ASVAB was a 69. lol. swear to God.

and yes….the DoD is on a fucking sexual assault crusade. which is why i don’t fuck with military women.

• Vicomte says:

I got a 94.

My recruiter got a hard-on.

7. RojoC says:

Thank you for writing this piece Danny. Also, you clean up well in the uniform.

So I’ve mentioned interest in the military before. It’s true. Not gonna lie, I am very very interested in becoming a USAF TACP guy. I have been working to get in shape for this for about month thus far (early in April was when I stopped pussyfooting and in fact realized that I did want to try the military, and AF TACP is interesting to me). Anyway, I’ve already started to drop some weight. I stopped eating too much and I am cutting down on unhealthy shit big time. So far, I am minus 10 lbs (as of my last weigh in).

I am down for the challenge. I would really like to accomplish something that many people don’t get to do. I need to prove myself in life

I wish you the best of luck. It will NOT be easy.

• RojoC says:

Thanks Danny. I know it won’t be easy–but that will make it even sweeter. You mentioned that your nephew got rid of approach anxiety after he completed basic. Just imagine was getting through something like this would do for one’s “inner game” and confidence.

I swear, if I had a shot at SEALs or SWCCs* I would have tried that. I think they’re friggin cool as hell!

**These dudes have the most super bad ass bass boats ever, lol.

And here is a little something about the TACPs

8. Ironsun says:

Danny,
    Excellent write up and advice for those giving consideration to the military.
    I was Navy ’82 – ’90. I extended a couple of years to get a shore billiet as I had made the decision to get out and wanted to get a jump start on a college degree.

I will echo your advice of knowing what job(s) you want to do before going in. Very, VERY important.

With regard to sea duty, I liked it. In fact I cross decked when the frigate I was on came back off of Westpac as it was going into the reserves and I wanted none of that. I was in the electronics field so my perspective is different them a guy in deck or engineering. I had no problem with being haze gray and underway as a lot of shit was going on and I found it good. Yeah sure there was long boring stints, but overall it was not that bad.

You are approaching 20 and a PO2, what is up with that? When I got out after 10 I was a PO2, but I had a Captain’s Mast under my belt for drunken debauchery in Oregon.

Lol. Nah dude, I’m an HM1.

• Scotty says:

Sorry. I don’t see a way to reply to the original blog. . .

Dead wrong on the Air Force and on Pararescue. I’m like this guy that didn’t want to say anything though. You have a lot of really great advice iin your blog. I don’t want to turn this into a pissing contest either but I tell me kids to join the Air Force for a great life and great training and it is still military but with really smart people in charge.

If you want a military experience and plan to do one hitch and get out? Join the marines.

9. Athor Pel says:

In regards to Danny’s admonition to avoid the Air Force, I was told the same thing about the Army when I was in. Because of this, be aware of what your getting into.

When I was in the Air Force every Army enlisted guy I knew told me the following about how the Army dealt with newly enlisted. They will guarantee you the training, the tech school, but they will not guarantee the job. Which sounds much like what Danny said about the current Air Force.

But what I think is going on is an individual thing. It can happen in any of the services. In that…

What it comes down to is the contract you sign. Get what you want in writing, otherwise they, the military service branch you join, will put you where they want you. Your wishes mean nothing. If it isn’t on paper it does not exist. Get everything you want in writing. Otherwise do exactly what Danny recommended, walk.

Do the delayed enlisted option and wait for that slot to open up. Do not let them talk you into anything other than what you want to do. And get it in writing. Because once you’re in, they own you. You will most likely get the training and the job, assuming you got that in writing, but where that job is located is totally up to them. It could be Thule, Greenland or Minot, North Dakota or Crete.

The first set of PCS orders I got said I was going to Okinawa, I was gonna do my job on a plane. All the friends I made in school were going there. Two weeks before I was to graduate from my last tech school I got told to stay put, new orders were being cut. Two weeks after graduating I got the new orders. They had me going to Osan AB, Republic of Korea, I was going to be working on the ground. I didn’t want to go to Osan. I wanted to fly. Dammit. I wanted to go snorkeling. I bought a damn dive watch.

But that’s a minor quibble really. I had no problems getting exactly what I wanted out of the Air Force in regards to training and GI Bill money, which is why I joined in the first place. The only thing that limited my job choice was eyesight. I wear glasses and am borderline color blind.

I got a ridiculously high score on the ASVAB and that probably helped me get what I wanted. I was getting calls from the Navy recruiter months after I was already in the Air Force. They wanted me to tend nuclear reactors in submarines. I mean they had a major hard on for me. They got classmates from my high school to talk to me on their behalf.

If you’re wanting to be in crypto or be a linguist, or both, I can offer more specific advice. But be warned, working for NSA isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. If you have no idea what I’m talking about it’s probably better it stay that way.

There is one more thing to look at besides the training and job and that’s college money. The GI Bill specifically and whatever service supplied fund you qualify for. Shop around for the best deal money wise.

The army guys I knew ended up getting twice as much money for college than I did because the Air Force was stingy and the Army was generous. I could on get the Montgomery GI Bill and the Army guys could get that plus the Army college fund. I got $350 a month while going to college and they got $700. So look at the deals each service offers and compare them. It can make a big difference.

• Vicomte says:

I remember always wanting to take that crypto-linguist test just because it was classified and no one would say what it was about.

Supposing a hypothetical alien race gave an annual scholastic test to their equivalent of kindergarten-age children on the subject, of say, Niptologic Tinguistics.

Hypothetically, what kind of things do you imagine might be on that hypothetical test, hypothetically?

The DLAB test is a test where they allow you to study a made up language for a short amount of time, then you take a test based on said language.

The point is to see you’re capability to learn a foreign language. I was banging a girl that went to school to learn Chinese.

• Vicomte says:

Today is an auspicious day.

Thank you for answering my hypothetical question about a hypothetical test that I may or may not have wondered about hypothetically for the past four years.

I’m sure your hypothetical fuckbuddy would have been both beautiful and sexually generous, had she actually existed and not been a rhetorical device in a completely speculative thought experiment.

Vote Republican!

• adiaforon says:

Always keep this phrase clearly in mind if you decide to join the military:

“Needs of ______________.” Fill in the blank with any service you choose.

This will always trump whatever your wishes are. The service will put you wherever they need you the most, especially during times of conflict. When Iraq kicked off, Army folks like artillery, who wound up not having a job because of “asymmetric warfare,” got retrained as MPs and light infantry. I heard that even AF dudes got retrained to do convoy missions because there wasn’t enough Army personnel for that duty. Not what they signed up for. But, guess what? Needs of …

So, it’s very good advice to get as much as you can in writing at the outset rather than kick yourself in the ass later on. But, remember that, as in life, your path won’t be that clear-cut. Sometimes, you get shafted with job or duty assignment. Sometimes, you wind up with more than you bargained for, in a good way.

One thing that’s usually not guaranteed, when you do your first enlistment, is location. When my one buddy went down to the recruiter’s office around 2003, not long after Iraq kicked off, he had the choice of staying stateside, going to Germany, or going to Korea. Germany sounded great (and he eventually wound up there after three years into his enlistment), but he chose not to go because he didn’t have enough information. As it turned out, some of his buddies who chose Germany wound up in infantry divisions where “the little shit” is more pronounced. So, though these guys got to go to Germany, they didn’t get to chose the units where the Army would put them. Because this was the early stages of Iraq, people were getting rotated in and out quickly because of lower enlistments. So, wherever you went, you were getting sent to a unit that was most likely deploying.

Again, “Needs of __________________.”

10. ARoss says:

I’m thinking of joining the Reserves (Canadian Military), As I don’t think my disability would really go over too well in Reg force and I really don’t want to weigh a unit down too much. My exercise is run 1-2 miles with the dog everyday, I swim 5 times a week for an hour a day and I do 4 sets of 25 jacks, situps, push ups and squats.

• jzgeorge says:

The requirements will be the same. They aren’t going to get to cut you any slack because it is the reserves.

11. CLG says:

I thought about going JAG Navy, CG or AF as Marine Corps has an 18 month training before practice (The amount of trial work sells Jag as the pay sure doesnt), army has a domestic duty tour requirement and Navy and AF have the best general deployments for my tastes and CG gets to do a lot of the drug interdict prosecution stuff. two problems with doing it as far as I can tell: 1) Im hella out of shape. Just graduated, studying for the Bar, but knee is F***ed and I gotta drop mad weight to get in the ratio. 2) I got like 5 concussions playing Ice hockey in 2.5 years in high school (3 grade 3’s). Its been suggested I wouldnt pass the physical unless I lie about that and if I do lie about that, I can get disbarred. Any advice on #2?

And, for the record, I would still like to purchase my Dannyfrom504 ‘RETARD STRONG’ shirt in black.

I will pay up to thirty dollars plus shipping for this shirt.

13. senior beta says:

Great advice Danny. One follow up re: officer opportunities. Really has more to do with most guys’ desire to get an education on the gov’t dime. All the services, but especially Army and Marines, let outstanding enlisted compete for college slots (mecep, ROTC, etc.) after 2 years of service which is a great way to get a college education. Navy a little pickier as it wants the engineering and nuke nerds. I was Navy JAG during Viet Nam. Best job I ever had. CLG, I can’t image if you pass the bar exam the concussions would be disqualifying. You are not asking for flight school. But Danny is the medical guy. He might know.

i cancelled my MECP package to go to japan.

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 11:58 PM, dannyfrom504

• CLG says:

Thanks Senior, appreciate it. Start bar prep (NY) on Monday, 2nd lowest passage rate in the country (Cali with the communal property rights and the Non-ABA accred school craziness is the lowest). Thank god for the wisdom to let us have online practice question banks, lol.

14. stevie tellatruth says:

So you too were in Europe (Spain) on June 21, 2009, huh? Small world, i guess….

15. Great fucking post Danny

16. […] Joining the Military […]

17. Mik says:

AF Pararescue anyone? Possibly the toughest course of the lot? Can anyone verify this?

parerescue has NOTHING on SEAL, Marine Recon, or Green beret training. quit turning this into a service pissing contest. it supposed to give guys insight on how to maximize joining the services.

i WILL shut down comment’s if this continues.

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 6:24 AM, dannyfrom504

• Mik says:

No. Pls dont take it the wrong way. Im just a curious observer. Take massive interest in the military. And like the average guy, i just wanna know who’s the toughest. There seem to be a credible bunch here, thats all.

My bad, didnt mean for it to be a pissing contest.

that’s fine. but the poiint of this is to help young guys considering the military a guide to help them maximize their ime in and benefit fromt the 4-5 years they’ll serve.

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 8:54 AM, dannyfrom504

• RojoC says:

These are just my thoughts on the Tier 1 guys:

Maybe there is one group that is more elite than the rest sure—but the way I look at it, it doesn’t matter. I think that once you cross a certain point, it is all going to be “elite” as most people won’t even get there at all. PJs or SEALs or ODAs or anything like that is tough to get it into. They all have different specialties and take care of different things. To put it simply, I would imagine that all of these things are tough in their own regard and that once you cross a certain threshold, it really doesn’t matter.

i took the test to qualify for BUDS in bootcamp. KILLED IT. i just wanted to hear i could go to BUDS if i wanted. i know a few team guys and they have a certain air about them. honestly it doesn’t matter if your SPECOPS or not, the alpha guys are just that.

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 2:38 PM, dannyfrom504

18. Mik says:

Ok, so you guys are saying DON’T join the Air Force, unless you wanna be a Fighter Pilot?

• pavetack says:

The story danny tells about the Air Force is the same one I heard about the Marines 30 years ago. I suspect it’s true about all the services . . . Recruiters will use sexy jobs to get you to sign. If you’re not careful about what you sign, you could get screwed. FWIW, the air force and navy are heavily engineering and technology driven, and try to attract geeks. The Marines, and to a lesser extent the Army are physical, but want jocks with leadership & teamwork ability.

Pick the job you want and the lifestyle you’re willing to accept, and use that to determine which service. (Don’t overlook the Coast Guard – a coworker flew helos out of Italy, the Caribbean, and Alaska).

Some jobs are AF only – if you want to be a weatherman, air traffic controller, pj, aerial refueler, etc, you’ll have to go air force. Similarly, if you want to go nuclear, you’ll have to go Navy. Be warned that there are hardship assignments in the AF. Some air bases don’t even have golf courses! 🙂 (Source: Me, USAF 5+ years, my sister USAF 4+ years, my father-in-law and brother-in-law were career AF; my brother and Dad career Navy).

actually, the navy is composed of 3 areas- seaman, fireman, and airman.

the air communities offer just about the same jobs as the AF. we have weathermen, air traffic control, etc. remember, we do have carriers that launch planes. lol. and on a carrier you get flight-line pay and hazardous duty pay.

i did some time as the flight line HM on my ship; it was fun and i had extra beer money.

• adiaforon says:

What I’ve heard about the AF is similar to what Danny has said: i.e., they’re infamous for “needs of ____________.” (Check my other comment above.)

Because the AF is very technical, it attracts smarter folks who are less physical and who want those technical fields. Consequently, the AF is often “overstrength,” and this leads to you, the recruit, getting the shaft with jobs because the AF will put you in a slot that nobody wants, even if you signed up for the job that you really wanted. Not that much different from the civilian job market when you have a flood of unemployed joes looking for the same job. This puts the employer in the driver’s seat and it will make all kinds of unreasonable demands, because it can.

The difference with the AF is that is has a certain number of slots to fill every year. The other services do more or less the same thing. In the Army, as my one buddy said, you usually could tell which jobs were the “shit” jobs (e.g., cook, fueler) by the amount of bonus money it was throwing at folks who re-enlisted and who reclassed into that job. The stupid ones just saw dollar signs and didn’t think about their long-term job prospects. Then, they found themselves doing jobs completely different from what they signed up for.

Lastly, some AF guys have told me this. The AF, obviously, is all about flying. Everything else is support. There are far more support jobs than there are pilots, so pilots are kind of the “elite” of the AF, but not as “elite” as Navy pilots are. If you can pass the physical and other tests to be a pilot, then you join the “elite.” If not, then you’re support, and then it will depend on what you want vs. what slots they need to fill. The AF is a small force, unlike the Army. More jobs and more choice in the Army because of size. Also, the AF is the least “military” of all of the services, and is run more like a corporation. Consequently, political bullshit is higher in the AF.

19. UCB says:

Hey Danny,

Been following your blog for a while now and meaning to comment, but this is the one that finally pushed me to do it.

Gotta say that most of your info is spot on, but have to disagree on the Air Force thing. I had a guaranteed job (biomed tech) six months before I shipped off to basic. Most people don’t know that there’s two types of contracts, a guaranteed job and an “open area” where they slot you based on your ASVAB scores. Some recruiters will tell you that having a high ASVAB score in mechanical or electrical will guarantee you as awesome job, but it’s a flat out lie; it only guarantees you that you’ll get a job somewhere in that general area. I told my recruiter straight up that I wasn’t signing on unless I had a guaranteed job upfront. Once you sign the contract, the Air Force has to fulfill their half of the requirement as well. If for whatever reason they can’t, either you can choose from a list of available jobs or pack your bags and go home on an admin discharge. And one exceptionally cool thing about the Air Force is that you can get many of the better jobs (crypto, biomed, rad tech, etc) right out of basic, where the other services force you to wait until your second enlistment.

Currently a 12 year vet with a background in medical equipment repair and IT. Pretty killer combination these days, but I’m considering traveling on my own for a few years and then maybe moving into radiology when I get back stateside. Current 40hr/wk grind in IT is boring as shit, but pays well.

Also, don’t sleep on the Coast Guard. Had a friend graduate from their academy, and its as good as all the rest and quite a bit easier to get into due to less competition. They also have some of the best flying missions and sea duty is extensive but not nearly as hard a grind as the Navy’s. Hard to go wrong there.

i won’t argue your AF contract point, but the fact is, most kids don’t no and or don’t question when they “contract” get changed. i was supposed to go to boot camp in orlando, but found out the day i left for booth that i was going to great lakes. i was too ignorant and naive to tell him to go fuck himself.

the army and USMC both send you to specialized training right after basic. the navy does as well, but once you have a “A” school (basic job), you can get an NEC which is specialized training. i’m an HM, but i have the NEC 8452 (adv radography tech). med repair is also an NEC for HM’s.

• UCB says:

Yeah, well kids are dumb. No way I’d sign away 4 – 6 years of my life without knowing exactly what I was getting myself into. But then I was 21 at the time and aced my ASVAB. Glad to see you putting the info out there.

Didn’t know about the specialty schools right out of basic. When I went through biomed school, all the Army and Navy guys were prior service; the Navy specifically required that you’d been a corpsman first and getting in was a selective process.

Also, forgot to add the importance of having an exit strategy. I knew exactly what I wanted to accomplish in my initial six year enlistment (college degree, train across multiple lucrative career fields) and as a result I came out of it making much more than my peers and even most of my old bosses. Having the option to retire is nice, but twenty years is a long time for anyone, especially under the current ops environment.

20. ba says:

Army guy here w/ advice on boot camp, jump school and other demanding schools.

First bit, don’t think of the entire time you’re going to be there(8 weeks, 16 weeks, etc). It will suck the motivation right out of you.

Think only of today, or only till lunch (or whatever your next break is). Whatever you’re doing that sucks is going to stop within a couple of hours. So focus on completing that couple of hours and nothing else. It will help you survive.

Second, learn to keep your mouth shut. Everybody that got seriously ragged in boot camp earned it. They earned it by running their mouths.

Remember your job in boot camp (and as an E-1 for that matter) is to be at the right place at the right time, in the right uniform. After that just follow instructions and you’ll do fine.

On a general note, joining the military helped me grow up, gave me money for college & taught me some skills. However, there is a very serious risk that you may be injured, permanently disabled or die. Keep that in mind as you decide if it’s for you.

21. Danny says:

Just wanted to throw this out there:if you are prior enlisted and still have a desire to stay in, please consider going officer. I’m barely a Lance Corporal (soon to be E-4) and I have completed the first part of OCS via the Platoon Leaders Course track (fact:marines are the only branch that can guarantee a flight contest freshman year of college-we’re ghetto so we don’t have a fancy academy all to ourselves like the USAF (Annapolis belongs to Danny’s beloved Navy).
    Anyways, seriously consider it, mustangs make the best officers.

PS. Being a Marine invariably helps you get laid. I was a virgin until I was 18-I didn’t lose it til after I came back from MOS school. I’m no expert, but my numbers have climbed way up since bootcamp in 2011;)

22. deti says:

Good stuff. If I’d had it to do over again I might have gone Army.

23. RojoC says:

Part of my interest in this business is because I think that as a young man, I should experience a more physical and action related job. I wouldn’t want to be stuck in a cubicle farm pushing paper for an entire career; it would be like wasting one’s youth and virility away which seems wrong.

Or maybe I am just different. I will say that I have taken the concept of “MGTOW” to heart. I’ll try to do what I want and not worry too much about material goods.

• Vicomte says:

You sound like you’ve got your head in the right place, brother. Just don’t let it fuck you up too much if it turns out you can’t do it.

• RojoC says:

Thanks man. I am mentally trying to prepare myself for all of this. I will give it my best.

About a month ago, I was exchanging PMs with a fellow member of a certain gun board who happens to be a TACP guy. He told me that he knew of a guy who lost eighty-six pounds just to try out TACP. If that dude’s friend can do it, so can I goddamn it! I also really want to earn that confidence boost that this would give me. I could prove myself and have a reason to really stand up straight. (Yes, I’ve still got some inner game issues I need to work out).

• Vicomte says:

Losing fat is simple and easy when you have the proper motivation. If you need any specific advice on that I can help you out.

Training-wise, work on your conditioning and PFT tests specifically. Runs and rucks are two things you can’t be too good at.

I felt the same way you did once. When it looked like everything was finally coming together (just the way I wanted it) the fates took a giant shit on my dream and I learned that there are two paths to rock-solid confidence: The first involves earning everything you’ve always wanted, secure in your ability to succeed; the second involves losing everything you’ve always wanted, secure in your ability to endure.

Personally, I recommend the former. So stay frosty.

• RojoC says:

Thank you, Vicomte.

• adiaforon says:

You can proceed on the assumption that we men, especially when younger, need to be out and about doing something physical. Our constitution demands it.

24. mothersmurfer says:

I served in the Army for 4 years. If I had it to do again, I’d go to the Marine Corps and stay there.

It really doesn’t matter which branch to go to. The main thing is: pick an MOS that will give you real world skills.

If you decide to join, immediately stop smoking weed and start running and doing calisthenics. Most civilians are lazy slobs. Most guys who arrive for basic training have been lazy slobs for a while. Basic SUCKS for those guys. Don’t be that guy. Start working out so you’re not too far behind. As Danny mentioned: push-ups, sit-ups, 2 mile run (3 mile run and add pull-ups for the Corps).

Danny, you got a 69 on the ASVAB? lol You really are retarded! ;P I got a 127 but didn’t get the cool intelligence MOS I wanted because I failed the piss test. So, if you decide to join, stopping fucking smoking!

That’s just mean spirited Sir. And I’ll have you know HM is one of the “smart” rates.

• Vicomte says:

I forget the exact terms, but you’re thinking of line scores or maybe the GT score.

Danny’s score of 69 indicates he scored in the 69th percentile, with fifty being average.

or something like that.

• Gouverneur Morris says:

The highest you can get on the ASVAB is a 99.

25. Gouverneur Morris says:

I want to second what was said about dealing with MEPS.

DO NOT
    DO NOT
    DO NOT

tell them anything that they can’t verify, such as whether or not you ever saw a psychiatrist or a counselor. I fucked up and said I once went and saw a family counselor, and that delayed my enlistment process for five fucking months.

It was absolute bullshit. The MEPS counselors demanded that my counselor turn over all the notes that he took of our sessions, even after I told them that I had been trying to get ahold of this guy for two weeks.

Don’t do it, guys. Whatever you do.

Thankfully, there’s a happy ending to my story. I ended up getting a Special Forces contract and am shipping in two weeks to Fort Benning.

Good article, Danny.

• CLG says:

Do us proud out there Soldier. FB is where one of my friends goes to give basic instruction in the Green bere weed out period. Guy is like 5’6′ 140lbs of just pure uilitiy muscle as has a physical pain tolerance higher than my Mental pain tolerance….. err well just know that your instructors can do everything you can do as well as you can do it, suck it up, work those long ass treks with Samuel L Jackson through Panamanian rainforrests (howler monkeys are cool) and realize that coffee grinds in youeyes wont help nearly as much as cold shots of caf. ruckpack.com has some MRE and energy boost shots with no crash.

• RojoC says:

I wish you the absolute best! I don’t even know you, but seeing that you got that contract made me happy for you. I think that’s fucking awesome!

dude-

the TACP is the hall monitor of SPECOPS. yes, the training is hard. but they’re the ride home. i’m just telling you what my friends in the teams told me. if this is your deal, cool. i wish you the best. but if you want a challenge, if you want to go SPECWAR, join a force that’s mission is to engage the enemy.

but if TACP is your deal……cool. just filling you in hermano.

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 2:36 AM, dannyfrom504

• RojoC says:

I understand that TACP isn’t as “leet” as some of the other things, but I know that for myself right now–even doing this is going to be a quite a challenge for me personally. I don’t want to bite off more than I can chew, you know?

And who knows, maybe down the road if things go well and there are chances to take it to the next level, I will.

26. redpillwifey says:

Great write up, Danny. Totally agree with everything, even about military women being awful, by and large. Barracks skanks everywhere! Glad I was able to get out of the barracks and into my own apartment quickly because the barracks were over-populated. Those bitches drove me nuts. One of the several reasons I didn’t re-enlist.

27. I was in the Navy from ’92-’98. I was a Fire Controlman, CIWS tech (NEC 1127). This post is solid advice; almost exactly what I would tell you.

28. Aurini says:

History degree and Infantry: I *had* to become a writer.

29. jose says:

Great post! Its good to hear about people like yourself letting the newbies know what to expect and do while in the military. I only did 4 years but in those 4 years i learned more and seen more things than any other civilian ever will. When young men cant find jobs the military will offer the experience they will need to find and survive the civilian world. I give them the whole speech about how the military is a better choice for a young man just like you did in this article. And i believe that every young man should join.

I remember after i was done with boot camp i felt like i could do anything. They got rid of the shyness and timidness i had. Its like i was born a new man! Since then i have been able to not be afraid to do new things. The military changes you! you become part of a group of people who are proud, tough as well as experienced in the good and bad aspects of life not many civi’s can say that.

I went to college with the money Uncle Sam gave me and now have been working in the computer field for quite a few years. Not bad for a kid who grew up in the Bronx! Looking back at times i wished i would have stayed longer but unfortunately life had other plans for me. The travel the work and the responsibility given to you at an age that most civilian corporations would have you working in the mail room the military will give you the opportunity to expand.

From one former sailor to another i would like to say to everyone that Danny knows what he is talking about. SO if you are thinking about joining then you will need to read this post and become informed. I got stuck in the Apprenticeship program and yes it was bullshit! They basically put you where they need you. Luckily for me i was working in the V3 division so i had time to find out how to get the fuck out of there.

There is a way to get the job you want while you are in the “Apprenticeship” program. You can what they call “strike out” to another rate (job) but the process is a lot longer and requires you to do On The Job Training that you will need as well as to read the rate’s training manual. once you have that done and fill out the paper work then you will be able to take your E-4 exam. If you pass the exam you will become that rate and then they will send you to A-school to learn the trade. While you wait for your A-school you will be working under your new rate picking up on that OJT.

Also let me remind you that you DO NOT GET MARRIED while you are there. While you are there you will need to get your shit together so that when you get out you will be able to continue with your career. Wives are a distraction and i cannot tell you how many sailors tried going “Overboard” because they found out that their wives are banging their best friend or even worse banging their father or brother! Who needs that shit! Just concentrate on getting yourself together pussy will always be there afterwards.

Jose
    USS Dwight D Eisenhower (CVN69)

Great Post!