White Knights in Cinema

“anal nathrak, uthvas bethud, do che-ol di-enve,”

i saw the movie YEEEEEEEEARS ago and i still love it. excalibur is one of my favorite movies (yeah yeah, i’m a nerd, i know). i was watching it this past weekend and the red-pill made me wince at this sub-plot of the movie.

despite the great fight scenes and the main story line there HAD to be some douchey part of the film. the affair between lancelot and guinivere was my “ew” red-pill moment. pre-red pill i thought it was all noble, yet fucked up wasting your time on a chick that’s married (especially your supposed “best friend”). but i know, i know, there has to be some romantic drama to every epic story.

but this was my first time watching it in YEARS. when the above scene played i winced. much to his credit lancelot comes through and remains true to his word and arrives to assist arthur and the others in the final battle against artur’s son mordred. yet, the moment has to be spoiled as lancelot dies still professing his love of guinivere. *rolls eyes*

that begs the question? can a white knight change his ways? my guess is maybe. but you can only guess with certainty if it’s written in the script.

OH…..

Might be a little slow round here as I’m in Merritt island visiting my mom (who’s house sitting for my sis) and niece.

11 Comments on “White Knights in Cinema”

1. MargeryM says:

I love Excalibur! But I have never been fond of Lancelot and Guinivere in any of the tellings of Arthurian legend (or at least none that I have read). He always struck me as being weak and she always seemed spoiled and selfish to me. It never managed to make my heart pitter patter.

My favorite scene is when Arthur drives Excalibur into the ground between them when he finds them together. Arthur was a boss there. Lancelot and Guinivere’s reactions really played to their character, or lack thereof.

2. Copyleft says:

I’d say the musical “Camelot” gives the harshest reading of the romantic angle of that story, despite its overall cheery tone.

Guinevere comes across as simply looking for attention, eager to set young men against each other to fight and even die just to make her feel special. Arthur is endlessly forgiving, and Lancelot is a pompous egotist who finds himself helpless against this new type of challenge. Camelot falls because “Gwenny” put her selfish pouts and self-indulgent nature ahead of the most important ideals and initiative England had ever seen.

3. HanSolo says:

The ultimate white knight oneitis warrior! lol Made me cringe.

4. HanSolo says:

What an ultimate white knight one-itis warrior. Made me shudder.

5. […] White Knights in Cinema  Home  White Knights in Cinema […]

6. Anonynerd says:

Forrest Gump is a way bigger white knight than Lancelot.

7. Can white knights change? Yeah. Example: P. John.

Copyleft is right about Camelot. I’m sure that show all on its own woke up any number of unsuspecting fools.

God, I hated that bitch Forrest had terminal one-itis over. Plus, I’ve known a couple of her IRL. Horrible excuses for humans.

8. Random Angeleno says:

I strongly recommend TH White’s “The Once And Future King”. Incredibly good retelling of the original Malory which I’ve also read. Used to be into all manner of Arthurian novels and short stories. Have mixed feelings about the movies though. I did like King Arthur just a little bit and Excalibur has its moments. First Knight sucked balls though, I only sat through that because Connery was in it. Camelot was just ok, nothing more.

Like danny I hadn’t looked at any of this stuff since I’ve gone slowly but steadily red pill over the years. So my new take as taken from Malory and White: Lancelot was the alpha stud with his rough edges and Arthur was the cuckolded beta. Lancelot was betatized to some extent over the years yet still had enough alpha left to keep her love. Think 5 minutes of alpha vs 50 years of beta. That’s that relationship. Arthur, on the other hand, is the ultimate beta white knight. White intimates that Arthur knew Lancelot was boinking the Queen behind his back yet held it together for the sake of the realm. Lancelot did leave the castle often for difficult missions, but absence only made Guinevere’s heart fonder. Again, think 5 minutes of alpha… Another irony White pointed out was that both of the men in Guinevere’s life had sons by other women (Arthur had Mordred; Lancelot Percival) yet she herself was barren and finished her life in her era’s version of cat ownership: the nunnery.

For them who are nuts about all things Arthurian, I can recommend the Stephen Lawhead novels under his heading Pendragon Cycle. “Avalon” is the best, but they are all good.