Polpette

decided to run polpette the other day for work friday. polpette is a giant meatball in pasta sauce; i went with sugo alla’ arrabiatta (angry sauce). its a tad spicy and yet basic. you’ll need-

– 1 lb ground beef

– 1 lb ground pork

– 1/2 cup bread crumbs

– 2 eggs

– 1/8 cup basil

– 5 cloves chopped garlic

– 4 TBS crushed red pepper (can be lessened to taste, or omitted)

– 2 TBS kosher salt.

mix the above with our hands and form into 2 balls. let set for 10 minutes. brown over med heat and once browned over most of it’s surface, set it aside and save the unwashed pan…..you’ll be cooking the sauce in it.

SAUCE-

use a jar of quality sauce if you’re lazy; if not

– 1 28 oz. can san marzanno’s tomatoes (DO NOT DRAIN)

– 4 TBS olive oil.

– 1/2 cup rough chopped basil

– 1 TBS kosher salt

– 2 cloves chopped garlic

heat oil, add basil, salt and garlic. cook over med heat for about 3-4 minutes, garlic should be slightly browned. add tomatoes, and crush with a wooden spoon (i prefer mine slightly chunky) and bring to boil. set heat to med and let simmer for 30 minutes, then add meatballs. bring to boil. once boiling drop to low and cover. let simmer for 1 hour. un cover and reduce for 30-45 minutes. remove from heat and let sit for 10-15 minutes.

serve in bowl or over spaghetti or angle hair (my fave). enjoy.

yes, you can add pasta. but i prefer it as an entree .

yes, you can add pasta. but i prefer it as an entree .

[ed- polpette is usually stuffed with 2 slices proscuitto and 2-3 small pearls of mozzarella. i didn’t stuff these, but if you do….it’s fucking amazing. it adds a depth to it that has to be experienced to comprehend.]

stay up

29 Comments on “Polpette”

1. november2014 says:

I’m wishing I worked with you right now!

2. theshido says:

God damn, looks great. Going on my bulking recipe list.

3. sunshinemary says:

Oh my goodness, that looks delicious. I am going to try making these on Tuesday…think I’ll try stuffing them, as you recommend. Mind if I include this post in my link-up on Wednesday?

4. OffTheCuff says:

I’ve been making my grandmother’s meat sauce for years, but the meatballs are labor intensive. I’ve though about making a giant meatball many times, and now I have the means. I’ll use my ow recipe but your method!

5. […] of food, Danny has a recipe for Polpette that I was going to try out yesterday, but the weather was so hot and muggy that no one felt like […]

6. Maeve says:

I’m going to short out my keyboard with all the drool

7. Maeve says:

I made these last night and they were amazing. The daughters have decided that henceforth all meatballs in this house will be these meatballs. I’m going to try and post a picture, but I have a new phone and I’m barely able to answer a phone call, let along get a photo off it. Anyway, thanks so much for sharing this!