Ascending to Minimalism

one of the things i liked most about Enjoy the Decline was the chapter on “minimalism”. if you haven’t read his book, DO IT. go to his site, click the amazon link and cop it. i first discovered minimalism after reading M.D. Creekmore’s “Dirt Cheap Survival Retreat”. it’s cheap book but should serve as a warning call to American men. Creekmore’s story could appear on the Spearhead, the story’s been told a 1000’s times in the Sphere and in the MRA/MGTOW blogs and forums. do yourself a favor: go to Viva La Manosphere, click on his amazon link and get the book. it’s a VERY quick and easy read. at the very least click VLM’s link, read what the books about and determine if you could learn something from Mr. Creekmore’s experience. i sure as hell did.

it’s getting to be crunch time and a few days ago i made a HUGE step in becoming a minimalist. i gave away my king sized bed, dresser drawer, 2 bed side tables, and my sofa. i already spend 90% of my time at home sitting on my rug watching the telly ala the Dude. and now i’m sleeping on 2 blankets folded into a small mattress and a cheap blanket i have in the hallway closet. and you know what.

i sleep like a baby.

before it would take me 10 minutes or so to fall asleep. now, once i get settled- BAM!!!! i’m out. i wake up to either an alarm or i open my eyes and 7 hours have passed. it’s fucking great. i’m even contemplating NOT moving my old queen sized bed into my bedroom.

as for the rest of the stuff, most of it is going to good will: certain books, various sundries, etc. i’ll donate a large portion of the food bank to a homeless shelter and i’ll take a few of the cases of MRE’s with me . all i plan on packing out are the guns, some clothes, cooking crap, and the books of value.

what i didn’t realize was how easy it is to accumulate so much crap, but how difficult it is to get rid of it. the down side is that my house looks like it was looted (well, my bedroom does) since i still need to throw away all my old bedding. i’d donate it, but that’s nasty. lol.

talked to my mom about what i plan on doing when i get out. i’ll be staying at a monthly pay corporate mini apartment while i go to welding school at delgado JC. i’ll probably keep the radiology gig while in school just for some holding money.

but once i get some time, i’ll be nosing around for a few acres between lafayette and baton rouge and getting the travel travel trailer secure. all the while what few things i packed out will be in storage. and to be honest- i can’t fucking wait.

i decided i’d chronicle my journey to minimalism. while i don’t consider it a MGTOW journey as a typical MGTOW’er eschews women altogether.

fuck that.

i don’t have any intention of getting married, but i DO plan on having women in my life. lol. the next step is mom coming up my way and taking posession of her spinny chair. and certain wall art and my persian rug in the living room.

i’ll keep you posted.

i went from this-

the old living room

the old living room

to THIS-

the new living room

the new living room

my old bedroom

BRold

the new, freshly looted bedroom

BRnew

also, i start leave today. wednesday i head off to vegas for the meet up. i’ll be back in NO friday evening and i’ll be there until the 16th. send me an email if you’re going to be in the area.

stay up

23 Comments on “Ascending to Minimalism”

1. MMA says:

Couldn’t agree much more with this post. I had to downsize after a divorce, and later after I left a 2 bedroom apartment for another 2 bedroom apartment. Both times I was astonished by the amount of shit that me and the young man had accumulated.

Ever read a website called tinyhouseblog dot com?

That website intrigues me; it’s all about building an ultra efficient, yet usable living space. Sometimes for under $50k. Done. After that, your costs are usually just fuel; gas, electric, water, and propane if you hook up for that.

It’s seriously the best website for MGOTW, at least as far as locking down your living space; on grid or off grid.

There are designs that fit on a 5th wheel trailer. There are designs that use straw bales that build the walls. There are some that involve buying a conex container and building that out as a living space. There are some designes that involve buying an old RV, gutting it, and rebuilding it with modern amenities. In the end, whatever you choose, he finished product reflects the effort you put into it, and it doesn’t require you to look like you live in Bartertown in a Mad Max movie.

They typically include showers and kitchens. All in a space under 300 square feet, maybe less.

There are a lot of different ways of thinking on that blog. Many of them are too hippie or liberal for my tastes. But some of them are really intriguing. I like the 5th wheel trailer designs. Imagine living in a place for a few months, and then deciding you want to move out to Tenessee and look at mountains for a few months. Hook up the house and move it.

Set it down, get some p/t welding gig, and you are set.

Just food for thought.

never read the site, but i’ll check it out. Creekmore’s book REALLY lit a fire under my ass. retire, move back to La., do my welding school, buy my land and trvael trailer. Creekmore is pretty much off grid. he bought 2 acres on a strip mine as a family camp spot. after losing his job and then getting cleaned out in a divorce. he was forced to live in his travel trailer.

4 months turned into “why didn’t i do this sooner?”

i read the book and told myself, “i’m doing this.”

2. MMA says:

P.S. I found Tinyhouseblog dot com by reading Creekmore. He’s a pretty solid read too.

3. Eh, there’s a certain balancing point from a social perspective. That is, it’s possible to have too little, or the wrong too little. That said, something I have noticed in my travels through many strata of society is this: The rich have less crap. The more junk you have sitting around, the less your personal worth. Is it because the rich know how to keep things more out of the way, or that they can afford to simply get whatever they need at a moment’s notice and discard it again? (I can tell you that last one is total crap, but I have wondered now and then.) Is it that the poor have bad habits, including organization and cleaning, that keep them poor? Actually, yeah, for the most part, but that’s not really the big thing.

What makes the rich elegantly sparse is the same thing that made them rich in the first place: A mindset of abundance. (Horrible trite phrase, I know, but I haven’t come up with a better one yet. I’m open to suggestions, as I really do hate the wording.) I have a LOT to write on this topic, since it directly affects income, junk accumulation, peace of mind, eating habits, and indirectly dang near everything. But as far as minimalism goes, if you don’t have a scarcity mindset, where you have to grasp everything that floats by, you can reduce or eliminate most of the crapola that most lives are cramped by. Yeah, if you have a hobby you’ll need a certain amount of stuff for it and somewhere to put it. If you’re an artist or builder you’ll want to have standard resources handy. Not talking about that. It’s the junk.

Been shedding things for a while, now. Got a fair way to go, since separating the needs of projects from the rest of the stuff can take a while, the best way being to finish the project and dump the remainder. But man, has it made a difference so far.

4. Mister E says:

Since you are going the minimalists route, can I offer a website that may serve your needs for the future? The guys that have this website are living off grid in the Colorado back country and making their own power requirements i.e, windmills, water wheels, battery banks, low voltage lighting, gas appliances, etc. Just google otherpower dot com and it should be the first on the list.

5. Dave says:

On July 16, 1995, I stopped my bike 40 miles from home. As I studied the map to plan a route back, another cyclist stopped to chat.

He’d shaved his head and trimmed his shorts for maximum cooling effect. Other than that, he wore only sunglasses, helmet, and sneakers.

He’d ridden 160 miles on Friday, two days earlier. He rode about 10,000 miles a year at a very slow 10 mph. His $2300 ultra-light graphite bike was loaded with gear: several tote bags, a gallon jug of coffee, and a full-size upright pump.

He was a 40-year-old white guy living alone in Cholo City — “I’m not rich, I live cheap”. He had no job and no car. He sometimes rode the bus 36 miles to Rich Liberal City and spent 18 hours walking home.

Progressives love to condemn America’s consumerist lifestyle, but only to guilt-trip us. They know that if we actually minimized our lives, there’d be no surplus wealth to tax, and thus no money to fund any Progressive causes.

6. Richard Cranium says:

Totally agree. At this point except for what I have on the road with me everything I own is in a few boxes under the stairs. Just some clothes, books & dvd’s and an old computer. Don’t even own a car anymore no need. I’m off the grid as much as I can manage to be.
    Have a blast in Vegas I lived there for a few years really miss it.

7. Hamilton says:

More candle money too.

8. aneroidocean says:

man I’d love to come to the meetup. wish I had the time to take off. enjoy the heck out of it danny

9. Random Angeleno says:

Wish I had kept up with the news on the meetup front… was just in Vegas this past weekend, could have stayed a few days more before resuming current road trip. Have a great time.

Can speak to having stuff… once had a houseful, now down to a storage space while I’m in the wind. Once had a 2 car garage 2/3’s filled with books, now down to about 4 boxes. Once had fabulous living room and master bedroom furniture sets. Given away to friends who needed them more than I did. That sort of thing. If enough of us do this, not good for the economy, but I’m done being a mule.

10. Alex says:

If you’re buying land, look into building a pole and beam building for that climate. Cheap to build, you can do much of the work yourself, once the poles are in the ground, and you can lift the floor 4 or 5 feet off the ground since LA gets a ton of rain and flooding. Plus with the poles supporting the weight of the roof, you can arrange the interior for a roomy feel.

Here in NM I learned how to build earthbag buildings after working on a couple of projects. Time consuming but err, dirt cheap.

Given that housing is one of the biggest expenses, give the banker wanting to tie you into lifetime slavery, mortgage, the finger.

I’d do that if I were planning on a permanent building. I’ll be in a travel trailer so if a storm comes I’ll just hook it to the truck and haul ass.

Most of the house along the gulf coast in La. are on beams.

11. […] dynamic has freed men from work. In his new book Bachelor Pad Economics, Aaron Clarey advocates a minimalist approach to money – buy only what your need and using your time for your benefit rather than […]

12. […] du travail.  Dans son nouveau livre Bachelor Pad Economics, Aaron Clarey recommande une approche minimaliste de l’argent–acheter seulement ce que vous avez de besoin et dépenser votre temps pour […]