Reason for the Season

in this little blogging community there are a few people whom i consider family. i’ve had a few interesting conversation via email with my Big Sister SSM regarding religion and my take on faith and my unique insight to it.

i usually don’t go too deep into my faith here. but Christmas tends to bring out my Catholic boy sentiments. despite the crass subject matter you may find here, i’m very much committed to my faith (looking at you Mary). i’m more spiritual than most of you realize. so tonight, i present my all time favorite Christmas show clip: Linus’ soliloquy as to the meaning of Christmas.

eternal blessings to you and yours during this holiday season. may you spend it in the company of those you love and hold dear and realize and appreciate the blessing you have with these people in your life.

i’ll be in NO for a family Christmas party, right where i belong. it’s the first Gutierrez Christmas party without Maw-Maw and Paw-Paw.

the last pic i ever took of Maw-Maw and Paw-Paw

the last pic i ever took of Maw-Maw and Paw-Paw

my favorite Christmas song. i’ve had only 2 very memorable moments where my faith honestly saved me: the first was when i lost my first patient, a 7 year old girl, that died while we were trying to extract her from the wheel well of a truck that hit her. she looked me right in the eyes, and exhaled deeply. she was gone. i was in a state of shock for 2 days. i was deed asleep when I had a very vivid dream of an Angel, and the girl was with him. and in the most clear, yet powerful and calm voice heard, “be at peace.” when i woke up, i felt fine. not heavy and dull.

the second was after my first week in boot camp. we were allowed to go to chapel for Sunday Mass. me and 3 other guys went (they well all Latino btw, one was i guy i had to teach english). up to that point all we had done was behavioral changing BS that broke us down into a unit, not as an individual. we were at the “shut up and do it” mentality. were were becoming automatons. in mass it was the first time we had done anything that brought us back to feeling like we were a part of the world. all of us broke down crying when they sang the hymnal. all the new recruits do. in boot camp, if you’re Christian, you’re authorized to wear a cross on your dog tags. i was holding my cross as i cried. they sang this song.

Glory to God in the highest.

Merry Christmas, and God bless.

17 Comments on “Reason for the Season”

1. Ian says:

God bless you, Danny.

2. sunshinemary says:

Beautiful post, Danny! That scene from the Charlie Brown Christmas is one of my favorites, too. I love your story about the angel.

My mister and I wish you the very merriest Christmas and a peaceful New Year.

p.s. He got your Christmas card and says thanks. And no, I did not view it. 🙂

3. Stingray says:

Merry Christmas, dear Sir. God Bless you.

4. Best scene of any Charlie Brown show.

Merry Christmas, Danny. May peace fill you, and love surround.

5. Marshallaw says:

Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year all the way from Ireland…

6. deti says:

Peace on Earth.
    Goodwill toward Men.

God bless, Danny.

7. stevie tellatruth says:

“For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.”

Merry Christmas, Danny.

8. teebradford says:

I really like your blog, but it really annoys me that you don’t capitalize words at the beginning of paragraphs. I don’t know why it annoys me, it just does.

9. dannyfrom504 says:

Oooooh. Do I have a troll.

10. Spacetraveller says:

Mewwy Kwissmas, Danny!

I see your ‘Hark the herald angels sing’ and I raise you ‘Oh Holy Night’.
    🙂

I adore the boy soprano voice. An adult woman’s voice is richer, for sure, but I love the purity of a boy soprano’s voice immensely.

I happen to be a fan of Charlie Brown too!

I am sorry Maw-maw and Paw-paw are both absent for the first time at Christmas in your household. But, they are with you in spirit. Rest assured.

All the blessings and prayers for a wonderful and beautiful Christmas and a Happy and Holy start to 2014, the year of your military retirement and the start of your new life, free from the constraints of modern life.

Peace to you and Brody.