Medicinal Doggy

i’m heading back to florida today and i need to keep Brody in La with my mom and dad. now, mom bonded with Brody. she’s the only other person he’s connected to as a puppy. well, about a month ago mom’s dog Cody had to be put down.

Cody-co-co.

Cody-co-co.

now, mom was REALLY broken up after putting Cody down. she’d had him for 12 years. Lucky took to Cody really quickly as a matter of fact. Cody was a little snuggle-lump; a complete lap dog. but he was also an intricate part of mom’s house. i remember Cody first being brought in, i knew him since he was a puppy.

hell, i was the only person he’d actually lick. daaaaaw.

when i came home Brody went ape shit when i pulled onto mom’s street. he literally jumped behind me to get out of the car when i first pulled into the driveway. once i got into the house, he sat at the foot of mom’s chair and never moved.

once mom was home he never left her side. it’s almost as if he knew she was hurting after losing Cody. Cody was the only male dog he’d tolerate, since Brody was a pup when Cody was an adult male and Cody pulled alpha on him. once Brody grew up he always seemed to have a sort of respect for Cody. cody would go out of his way to avoid Brody. lol.

even when he was feeble, Brody NEVER challenged Cody; even mom noticed that. and Brody could wipe the floor with Cody.

respect your elders. lol.

now, in my mom’s house, i rarely see my dog unless no one else is here. mom’s in florida and Brody sits in dad’s office as he works. he’s learning his schedule and he goes where dad goes. same with mom, if mom’s in the house, Brody is right next to her. Brody get’s it- she needs him.

a dog has an amazing way of adding something special to a human’s life. before i had Brody i could be a complete gloomy bastard. now, even if i’m in a bad mood, his goofy ass will shuffle up to me and suddenly i’m smiling and laughing because of his dumb ass.

i’m not a father per-se. but i feel like a parent because of Brody, everything i do i have to ask myself, “how will this effect Brody?”

sadly, i have to leave Brody with mom and dad when i leave today. after i do my pack out i’ll have to stay in a hotel and Brody won’t be able to stay with me. but….MOM needs a dog, a dog has an amazing ability to comfort, charm and bring joy to the human spirit. and right now, mom needs that. as much as i hate leaving without my boy, i know it’s for the best.

a man with a dog is a man coupled with his natural partner. 1000’s of years ago we domesticated dogs and humans became the apex predator.

human vision and cunning. a dog’s superior sense of smell and tracking ability.

if you ever decide to get a dog and you have questions, shoot me an email. or look up “dog” in the search portion of the site.

how do you NOT love this face?

how do you NOT love this face?

posted this one before, but DAMMIT it’s a classic.

the day i got him home.

the day i got him home.

13 Comments on “Medicinal Doggy”

1. Rowan says:

I laid my girl Shadow to rest in November and it still fucks me up. I got her almost 12 years ago, and about 6 years ago I had to move to get out of my shitty small town and find a job. Unfortunately I couldn’t take Shadow with me so she stayed with my parents. I’ll never forget the first time I came home and she was so excited to see me she pissed herself. I only got to see her twice a year since I moved out, but when we did it was just like old times.

Early last year my mom called me and told me that Shadow had a tumor on her side. My mom lied to me and told me it’s nothing to worry about. A couple of months later she went for another round of surgery. In October she again went for surgery. On November the 11th I got to work and I saw an email from my mom and I knew something bad had happened. My mom never sends emails. She sent me a message to say that Shadow had gotten really sick, wasn’t responding to treatment, and that I should think about coming home. Two minutes later, there I was, a grown-ass man crying in front of my boss and telling why her I had to go home. Thankfully my boss was cool with it and they told me to take the time I needed.

I got home and man, I could see my little girl was dying… We laid her to rest the next day. I keep her collar on my desk next to my computer… shit man, I’m going to miss her. It’s even worse for my mom though. I think she came to love Shadow even more than I did. My mom has a lot of stress in her life and Shadow always knew how to make her feel better…

Here’s a photo of me and her rough housing a bit when she was still a pup:

Dude, I’m so sorry to hear about you losing Shadow. That’s seriously depressing. I couldn’t imagine how I’d react to what you went through.

Thankfully your boss was cool and you were able to be there for Shadow at the end.

I’m very sorry to hear of you loss Brother. I have no doubt what you wrote was difficult to share.

Thank you.

• Rowan says:

Thanks Danny. I dunno man, people let me down a lot in life, but dogs? It’s hard to describe but they just seem to get me.

man and dog have been partnering the wild for ages. like i said, once we domesticated dogs we became the apex predator. the ultimate hunting team.

dogs seem to have a knack for understanding their humans very well. Brody KNEW mom was hurt even though she didn’t show it.

he never left her side when she was in the house. and DAMMIT do i miss having him around. it’s going to be a rough 3 weeks.

2. Rowan says:

Doh. That should be “I miss her” at the end there…

Dude- she’s beautiful. You can see how playful and pleasant she was.

Isn’t to crazy how dog owners can be totally sated by pics of friends dogs? Lol.

Find peace in the fact the she isn’t in pain any longer and you got to see her at the end.

God know’s I’d be a fucking wreck if I had to put Brody down. But at least you know why I’m ok with Brody being with mom.

He’ll, even Brody gets it. Lol.

• Rowan says:

Yeah. It was good that I got to say goodbye. When I saw her I could see how sick she actually was. It was crazy coz I was home less then three months earlier and she was a bit overweight due to the cortizol treatment, but she was otherwise fine. If I didn’t say goodbye I’d have always wondered if my parents had made the right decision coz I would have remembered her how I last saw her.

“My sympathies go out to your mom. It’s tough losing family, even if they have four legs.”

sometimes they make the best family. for some people, they’re the only family.

3. theasdgamer says:

Wiped a tear from me eye. Lost our Golden to a car about a year ago.

damn. that’s fucking harsh. sorry to hear that man. when i went home in december, i KNEW that would be the last time i’d see him- thus all the pics. i didn’t have the heart to tell mom. Brody’s 9, and i don’t even WANT to think about not having him around. more than once during the drive him i reached over to pet him- and no Brody.

putting a dog down because he’s suffering is one thing. but losing a dog like you did is the worst.

• theasdgamer says:

Dogs love unconditionally–makes them great pets. Brody sounds like a very perceptive dog.

Our Golden died doing what she loved best–chasing a varmint. Great way to go for a dog. No suffering. No blood. Just gone.

4. Haven’t had a dog since I left home mainly due to allergies but also from transience. That being said, to think of the two beagles that left one day never to return to the rather large black lab that had to be put down over 20 years ago still makes that lump in the throat magically appear. Makes me want to get one now.

PS. The title of this post is seriously misleading after the stripper stuff pre-MG.